Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Network with E7, Axiom and HS5
01-07-19, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-19 04:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Network with E7, Axiom and HS5
Hi,
I have today an older upgraded system from a standard Seatalk to a STNG network with use of two STng converters.
I will now expand the system with one extra MFD, an Axiom 9 together with the older E7.
I want to have the option to only have one of the MFDs (E7 or Axiom) switched on and at the same time be able to use the radar on that MFD.
I believe I will then need to install a HS5 switch to system?
I have made a proposal of a system, see attached.
Is this a good option?
Or do I not need a HS5 switch?
Have I connected the E7 and Axiom correct with the backbone T -pieces and the adapter cable A06045?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Network.pdf (Size: 113.93 KB / Downloads: 246)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-19, 04:58 PM
RE: [CA11] Network with E7, Axiom and HS5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Peter,

Q1. I will now expand the system with one extra MFD, an Axiom 9 together with the older E7. I want to have the option to only have one of the MFDs (E7 or Axiom) switched on and at the same time be able to use the radar on that MFD.
A1. As you may have inferred, MFDs running LightHouse II software (ex. a/c/e-Series MFDs) may not be simultaneously operated within an Ethernet network which additionally features a MFD(s) running LightHouse 3 software. Should the concept of operation onboard your vessel be such that the MFDs will not be simultaneously operated then your proposed system would be uncommon ... but viable.

Q2. I believe I will then need to install a HS5 switch to system?
A2. Correct.

Q3. I have made a proposal of a system, see attached. Is this a good option?
Or do I not need a HS5 switch?
A3. See the response to Q2. It should additionally be noted that the S1G features two SeaTalk ports. The ST6002 should be connected to one of these SeaTalk ports and the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Conveter's SeaTalk socket shoudl be connected to the S1G's other SeaTalk prot. The red lead of the SeaTalk Cable which is connected to the S1G should not be connected to the S1G's red SeaTalk terminal. This cable's red lead will be not be used and should be insulated to prevent shorting. Installation in this manner will permit use of the autopilot ... whether or not other components within the system are powered ON. From a communications standpoint, your diagram is correct as long as the concept of operation matches that specified within the response to Q1.

Q4. Have I connected the E7 and Axiom correct with the backbone T -pieces and the adapter cable A06045?
A4. Yes.
01-08-19, 02:16 AM
Thanks Chuck,
Today the system is connected as per attached drawing, and the ST6001 is connected to the St/STng converter.
This system works so my question is do I need to change the position of SG1 and ST6001 when installing the Axiom, HS5 and change location of the E7 and what is the different function if I do the change?
I have already disconnected/insulated the red wire to the S1G.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Network as today.pdf (Size: 84.6 KB / Downloads: 227)
01-08-19, 09:00 AM
Peter,

Failure to make the recommended change regarding the course computer's SeaTalk port may result in a ground loop. Such ground loops may result in intermittent or complete loss of communications within the system's SeaTalk and SeaTalkng communications networks. It is strongly recommended that the previously specified change be implemented.
01-08-19, 10:58 AM
Chuck,
Thanks.
I have decided to not install a HS5 switch as I do not need to be able to see the radar screen on the E7 inside the boat.
Will I be able to see the radar screen on the E7 if the Axiom MFD is running?

Please see attached diagram, I have now changed position of S1G and ST6002 and also removed the HS5, is this installation correct?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Network update without HS5.pdf (Size: 94.56 KB / Downloads: 222)
01-08-19, 12:21 PM
Peter,

Q1. Will I be able to see the radar screen on the E7 if the Axiom MFD is running?
A1. Negative. Radar spoke communications is not supported via a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 network. The latter would require either Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet communications between the e-Series MFD and the radome.

Q2. Please see attached diagram, I have now changed position of S1G and ST6002, is this installation correct?
A2. The diagram should be annotated at the autopilot course computer to note that the red lead of the SeaTalk Cable connecting the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port to the ST-STng Converter's SeaTalk socket should not be connected to the red SeaTalk terminal of the autopilot course computer.
01-09-19, 06:28 AM
Hi,
Ok thanks, I will make sure the red wire is disconnected.

Should it be possible to connect the MFD e7 directly to the free blue port on the STng converter no.1 ? as there is a terminal plug on the STng converter no2 also, maybe enough with one terminal plug?

Then I do not need another T-piece.
01-09-19, 08:33 AM
Peter,

Q1. Should it be possible to connect the MFD e7 directly to the free blue port on the STng converter no.1 ? as there is a terminal plug on the STng converter no2 also, maybe enough with one terminal plug?
A1. Negative. You will need to add a spur socket to accommodate the e7 MFD and then properly terminate the backbone with a SeaTalkng Termination Plug within the unused spur socket at each end of the backbone.
01-09-19, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-19 09:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks.
Please see attached diagram, is this all ok? Or is it also possible to connect the e7 to one of the free spur sockets ports on STng converter no.2?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Network final.pdf (Size: 99.8 KB / Downloads: 238)
01-09-19, 09:36 AM
Peter,

Q1. Please see attached diagram, is this all ok?
A1. Yes

A2. Or is it also possible to connect the e7 to one of the free spur sockets ports on STng converter no.2?
A2. It is certainly possible to use the available spur socket of the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter for this purpose as well.