Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from E120 Classic to C125
05-02-16, 11:44 AM
Upgrade from E120 Classic to C125
I am looking at replacing one of the E120's we have in our system with a C125 in order to accommodate a CP570. I have spent some time going through the FAQ's here and other posts and have put together the attached diagram of how I think everything would be connected to to the best of my understanding. I was hoping to get a confirmation that this configuration would work. Assuming it works, I was also wanting to know the following:

1. While running the radar on the E120, will I be able to see my waypoints?
2. Understanding that the C125 won't share cartography with the E120, can I run my existing cartography on the E120 from its CF Card slot?
3. Do I really need the Actisense NGW-1-STD or can the C125 be connected directly to the VHF and ST8002 via NEMEA0183?

Thanks,
Stuart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-16, 01:48 PM
RE: Upgrade from E120 Classic to C125
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Stuart,

General diagram comments. The maximum amount of supported data sharing between these systems will occur if the E-Series Classic MFD is disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and is instead connected as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. The SeaTalk bus will be powered via the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Depending upon the model of autopilot course computer installed onboard, maximum autopilot integration, to include Autopilot Control via the MFD, will occur if the autopilot course computer is disconnected from its NMEA 0183 interface to the system and is instead interfaced to the SeaTalk bus. Should the autopilot course computer (model not specified) feature a gyro, then it's 10Hz NMEA 0183 output port would be interfaced to the MFD(s) to supply them with stabilized fast heading data which will be prioritized over that communicated via the SeaTalk bus.

Q1. While running the radar on the E120, will I be able to see my waypoints?
A1. Should navigation be commanded (i.e. GoTo Waypoint/Cursor Position, Follow Route) on the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD, then only the active waypoint being navigated to will appear on the E120's screen unless you have additionally programmed the E120 MFD with the waypoints stored in the c125 MFD.

Q2. Understanding that the C125 won't share cartography with the E120, can I run my existing cartography on the E120 from its CF Card slot?
A2. Yes

Q3. Do I really need the Actisense NGW-1-STD or can the C125 be connected directly to the VHF and ST8002 via NEMEA0183?
A3. See the General Comment above regarding the autopilot. Generally, VHF radios are interfaced the NMEA 0183 port of a MFD. Some Icom VHF radios require NMEA 0183 sentences featuring the $GP NMEA 0183 talker ID. Should this be the case for your VHF radio, then the Actisense NGW-1 (or a second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter) would continue to be use to supply the VHF radio with GPS data.
05-02-16, 04:53 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for your quick reply. I apologize, but I don't completely follow. When you refer to the "Seatalk Bus", are you refering to the D244 Junction? Also, to connect the E120 as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone, would I need another converter, or would the the E120 connect directly to one of the white spur ports on the converter using a Seatalk to SeatalkNG adapter cable?

As for the auto pilot computer it is a S2G AST. It does not have a gyro connected, only the rudder and fluxgate. Picture attached.

Thanks,
Stuart
05-03-16, 10:29 AM
Stuart,

Q1. When you refer to the "Seatalk Bus", are you refering to the D244 Junction?
A1. Per the FAQ referenced within my initial response, instruments, autopilot components, GPS sensors, and chartplotters featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng interface (ex. ST40/60 Instrument Displays, ST6001, S2G, Wireless AP Controller, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, etc.) should be interfaced to one another, in any order, using standard SeaTalk Cables. SeaTalk Cables can be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes. SeaTalk Cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths. This method of interfacing is referred to as a SeaTalk bus. Should you not be well acquainted with how the equipment has been interfaced onboard your vessel, then you may want to seek the assistance of a Certified Raymarine Installer. The easiest way to disconnect the MFD from the SeaTalk bus would be to unplug the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable from the MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm port.

Q2. to connect the E120 as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone, would I need another converter, or would the the E120 connect directly to one of the white spur ports on the converter using a Seatalk to SeatalkNG adapter cable?
A2. Raymarine offers a A66061 E-Series Classic to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable to support interfacing an E-Series Classic MFD as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone.

Q3. As for the auto pilot computer it is a S2G AST. It does not have a gyro connected, only the rudder and fluxgate. Picture attached.
A3. The S2G is a gyro assisted autopilot course computer having an internal gyro mounted to the course computer's processor board.