Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST70/Smart Pilot x30
01-14-19, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-19 05:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ST70/Smart Pilot x30
I am upgrading my 2011 system, currently have E120W, DSM300, GPS125, Radar 4 KW E52069E, Seatalk HS, Seatalk ng converter, ST70/SPX30 Autopilot. the gps antenna was connected to the sea talk ng converter, now removed, open connection.
I have removed everything except the auto pilot spx30 and st70 controller, seatalk ng converter, I want to use the auto pilot stand alone, unfortunately not supported by Garmin mfd or NMEA 2000.
the st70 is connected to the sea talk ng converter (sea talk cable that was connected to E120W disconnected), the SPX30 also connected to sea talk ng, and the sea talk ng converter still is powered and all sensor connections unchanged. Upon power up of st 70, receive message "No Pilot". any help is appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-19, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-19 06:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] ST70/Smart Pilot x30
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dapagani,

The reported message is indicating that the autopilot control head is not communicating with the autopilot course computer. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would not typically be used for this purpose. However, there is also no reason why it may not be used. No SeaTalkng power Cable should be required for this installation, as this small backbone may simply be powered by the autopilot course computer's SeaTalkng port (you need simply move the course computer's SeaTalkng power switch to the ON position. Accordingly, it should be removed. A SeaTalkng termination plug should be inserted into each of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's two backbone sockets. The spur cables from the ST70 autopilot control head and autopilot course computer would then simply be connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's white spur sockets. The maximum total cable length used in a spur must not exceed 6m. It is recommended that this configuration be verified before adding any other devices to the backbone.

With regard to interfacing the autopilot to your Garmin chartplotter, should the Garmin chartplotting product feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, then you may want to consider adding an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the SeaTalkng backbone. This product has been demonstrated in the past to address apparent NMEA 0183 interface incompatibilities which are sometimes encountered when interfacing Garmin chartplotting products to Raymarine SPX autopilot course computers. This option would require that an extra spur socket be added to your backbone which presently consists of the ST-STng Converter alone. When so interfaced, the autopilot's Track mode feature may be used.
01-15-19, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-19 01:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks for the timely reply, I need to clarify as I do not think I was clear on problem description.
Originally, the only devices connected to the STng converter were the CCU/ST 70 CH/Raystar 125. the st 70 ch also had a second cable that went to the E120W, now removed. Removed the Raystar 125, so what I am left with is an open port on the st 70 ch, open port on the ST ng converter, a power cable for the st ng converter, and a st cable to the ccu. so as far as the autopilot goes, the only change was to remove the st cable from st70 ch to E120W, now getting the "No Pilot" error on ST 70 CH, I do have power to CCU. Your comment that I don't heed the st ng converter anymore or simply the power cable only? should I connect the ST cable directly from CCU to ST 70 CH, turn on power switch on CCU, leave second port of ST 70 open, remove all ST ng back bone?
FYI, I do have open port on ST ng converter without terminator on it, would this cause the converter to show open, thus no comm to CCU?

as for the Garmin interface, I can mess with that once I get the STX 30 running.
01-15-19, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-19 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
dapagani,

Q1. Your comment that I don't heed the st ng converter anymore or simply the power cable only?
A1. It was my intention to specify that unless continued SeaTalk to SeaTalk data bridging is required (ex. continued use of the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor), then it would be unnecessary (but possible) to continue using a ST-STng Converter within the system. Other alternative networking components would include using a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or a pair of SeaTalkng T-Pieces which have been joined with an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

Q2. Should I connect the ST cable directly from CCU to ST 70 CH, turn on power switch on CCU, leave second port of ST 70 open, remove all ST ng back bone?
A2. Negative. As indicated by within the FAQ found here, devices having a CAN bus interface (SeaTalkng, NMEA 2000) are designed to each be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q3. FYI, I do have open port on ST ng converter without terminator on it, would this cause the converter to show open, thus no comm to CCU?
A3. As indicated within my initial response, proper termination of the backbone requires that a SeaTalkng Termination Plug (blue) should be inserted into each of the backbone's (SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's) two blue backbone sockets. Failure to install both SeaTalkng Termination Plugs (blue) may indeed result in a communications failure. While it would be recommended that a SeaTalkng Blanking Plug (black) be inserted within the unused SeaTalk (yellow) socket to prevent damage / corrosion of the socket's pins, failure to install a SeaTalkng Blanking Plug within the ST-STng Converter's SeaTalk (yellow) socket would not cause the reported failure.

Should the problem persist when interfaced in the manner which I have specified, then it would be recommended that the SeaTalkng Termination Plugs be tested to verify 120 Ohms resistance is found across the CAN_H and CAN_L pins of the SeaTalkng Termination Plugs. If this resistance is verified, then it would be recommended that the autopilot course computer and control head be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
01-15-19, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-19 11:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
again, thank you for your help and guidance, wanted to follow up as to the solution. I checked all the cables, checked the terminators, everything was fine, then I removed the additional "T" connector, and power line to the ST ng, when I went to flip the switch for power from the CCU as I removed the ST ng power feed, I noticed the ST right angle connector on the CCU was loose, not making good connection, once I seated that, all worked well. I will look at adding a zip tie to hold the connector in place.
Going forward, will also investigate an interface to the garmin mfd. I did notice a cable on the RM web to go from ST ng to N2K, cable pn # is A06046 / 59.1in (1.5m) DeviceNet Male, says it will Adapts SeaTalkng to NMEA2000 network. Available with Male or Female ends.

will this not connect my AP to N2K?
01-16-19, 11:57 AM
dapagani,

Unlike the Evolution autopilots which are NMEA 2000 Certified, the SPX autopilots are not. While SeaTalkng communications is basically, an extension of the NMEA 2000 protocol, there are no guarantees that third party chartplotting products featuring a NMEA 2000 communications interface may be interfaced as a spur to the same backbone as are SPX autopilot components when seeking to utilize the autopilot's Track mode. Should this not work, then it would be recommended that the aforementioned data bridging device be used. As you have suggested, the A06046 / 59.1in (1.5m) DeviceNet Male to SeaTalkng Spur adapter may be used to support interfacing a third party product supporting NMEA 2000 communications to the spur socket of a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.