Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[JB] [JB11] Autohelm Linear drive sticking
05-25-20, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-20 09:51 PM by Jules - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[JB11] Autohelm Linear drive sticking
My Autohelm Electric linear drive 2 is recently stopping after a short time.I believe the unit is from the early 1990's. The computer, SmartPilot X30, is about 6 yrs old along with the ST70 control head. The computer is not connected or talking with any other instruments and I never had a rudder angle sensor. I have always just picked a waypoint and hit auto for 11yrs and 25,000knmi, adjusting a few degrees as the course demands. Worked flawlessly.
I have taken drive apart checked the roll pins( which I have replaced a couple times), clutch and lubed bearings. It seems that when I slightly move the wheel when it stops working it helps it start again. I had thought it was an alignment problem with too much angle causing to jam the ram. I put some washers on the quadrant end pin to try and level it. Worked fine for a few weeks. (we are, were, cruising thru Bahamas and moving a lot). After about 18 hrs of a 24 hr passage it did the same thing. Sticking until you move the wheel. When the drive is in standby the wheel moves very easily in both directions.
I just checked where the motor end attaches to mounting bracket and it seems the was a lot of play in the holes where the two opposing pins go through the universal type joint. The unit had a lot of movement both up and down and sideways. I put some thin washers in and that took most of the play out. It ran for two hours and acted up the same way. I am sure it is a mechanical issue. Thanks hope this helps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-20, 09:51 PM
RE: [JB11] Autohelm Linear drive sticking
Hello CookieMonster,

Welcome to the Raymarine forum,

The Autohelm name is from a while back so if that linear drive is still working and from what you've noted it should be admired for the work it's done. Sounds like you've done a great job nursing and patching it to keep it going.

Being a mechanical device and having done so much work it sounds like it needs to be replaced. Yes you could probably keep patching it but the reliability will degrade more and more. The design hasn't changed so the replacement will fit perfectly.

Happy boating and kind regards
Jules
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply