Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Coverting to AIS system
01-22-19, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 02:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Coverting to AIS system
I currently have a Ray 52 VHF radio (GPS) and a Dragonfly-7 Pro Sonar/GPS. What basic chartplotter, etc. will I need in order to receive only AIS ship traffic and maintain sonar (does not have to be 3D). And will the current Dragonfly-7 stern mounted transducer still work with an upgraded chartplotter?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-19, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 03:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Coverting to AIS system
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Garycar,

The same sonar capability may be found in an Axiom DV 7 MFD. This MFD also features support for AIS features when interfaced to an AIS receiver (ex. AIS350), AIS transceiver (ex. AIS700), or VHF Radio / AIS receiver having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface (ex. E70517 Ray73). While the Axiom DV 7 MFD uses a transducer which is very similar to that of the Dragonfly Pro 7, the currently installed transducer would need to be replaced. Raymarine bundles the MFD, CPT-100 transom mounted transducer and Navionics chart card into part number E70364-02-NAG.
01-22-19, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 05:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. Great info. I am a pretty handy DIYer. Is the chartplotter, etc. things that I can swap out myself? And is there a 9" version of this package?
01-22-19, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 05:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Gary,

Q1. Indeed, the Axiom 7 DV is designed to function as a chartplotter as well as a fishfinder. The only things which would need to be swapped out would be:
- the Dragonfly Power Cable / Transducer ... would need to be replaced with the aforementioned CPT-100 transom mounted transducer.
- the Axiom Power Cable would need to be installed
- a simple SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone would need to be constructed from SeaTalkng Networking components. The backbone would need to feature one spur socket for each device (ex. MFD, VHF radio, AIS receiver/transceiver, etc.) to be connected as a spur to the backbone and one additional spur socket through which the backbone will be powered.

Q2. And is there a 9" version of this package?
A2. Axiom MFDs are available in 7", 9", and 12" screen sizes. Axiom 7" MFDs are available in versions with RealVision sonar circuitry, DownVision sonar circuitry, and no sonar circuitry. Axiom 9" MFDs and Axiom 12" MFDs are available in versions with RealVision sonar circuitry and no sonar circuitry. Axiom RV MFDs may be mated to a RV transducer or may be adapted to be mated the aforementioned CPT-100 transom mounted transducer. To learn more about Axiom MFDs, click here.