Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] MFD a98 and seatalk1
01-24-19, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-19 11:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] MFD a98 and seatalk1
Hello,

Just bought a new a98 MFD on Düsseldorf Boot fair.
We have an St60 wind, Tridata , St 6001plus Autopilot and an old N300 in a daisychain on Seatalk 1.

I didn`t find any answer to the question, if you just want the bus to communicate with the A98 and you don`t need anyNmea2000 or NG Backbone at all, because you have no hardware to these protocols.

Is it possible that the MFD98 can read and show the data with the help of only the adapter A06047 Seatalk to Seatalk NG. ( In the sense of an ST70 Bridging Multidisplay)

I don`t ask for converting via the Set, because there is no Backbone at all.
I understand there will be power to the MFD98 NG Socket via the Seatalk 1 Bus and that Pin 6 (Seatalk NG) is not used within the A98.

The German Helpdesk could not answer this question.

Thank you for helping.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-19, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-19 01:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] MFD a98 and seatalk1
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum d-fensred,

The A06047 Raymarine SeaTalk to SeaTalk NG Adapter Cable cannot be used for this purpose. This cable is designed to be used with currently manufactured Raymarine products which are designed to support SeaTalk communications (ex. i70/i70S MFIDs, p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control heads, i50 instruments, and i60 instruments). If an i70/i70S MFID, p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head, i50 instrument, or i60 instrument is interfaced to a SeaTalk bus, then they may not be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. These devices may support SeaTalk communications or SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, but not both simultaneously. In order to interface the products which you have identified to an a98 MFD, an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be recommended. In fact, the E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter forms small powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. However, to be certain that this kit will be compatible with your system, it would be necessary to have you specify the model of autopilot course computer which is presently installed onboard the vessel.
01-27-19, 06:37 AM
Chuck,

thank you for your fast response. I ordered the Adapter kit. The Autopilot Controller is a smartpilot S1. Talking about this scenario with very competent German Dealer SVB we were not quite sure about the power wiring . Is power supply via the converter crucial for Operation?
That would say cut of the red + Cable from the seatalk 1 bus leaving the smartpilot?

If the S1 will not work with the A98, is taking the S1 out of the Seatalk1 Bus and connecting seperatly to Port1 Nmea IN/ Out 4800 bd of the MFD A98 ?

thanks for helping.
01-28-19, 10:57 AM
d-fensred,

The S1 autopilot course computer may indeed be interfaced to an a-Series MFD. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to interface products having a SeaTalk interface to a SeaTalkng backbone, to which the Data Master a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD will be interfaced as a spur.
01-28-19, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the link. I will proceed as recommended. "Real Job" will be done in March.

Thank you for your fast and competent help.
01-28-19, 01:36 PM
You're welcome.