Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] SeaTalkng to NMEA2000 interface
01-31-19, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-19 12:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] SeaTalkng to NMEA2000 interface
i have a hybrid instrument system on my boat [Beneteau 473]. When I bought the boat the original Raymarine autopilot control head screen had become “cloudy” and difficult to read. I opted to upgrade the autopilot computer to the Evolution ACU-400, EV-1 and p70s control head. We kept the original hydraulic drive and rudder sensor. The previous owner had installed a B&G Zeus2 chart plotter and Triton Instruments [NMEA2000]. I would like to connect both systems so that the wind information from the B&G [NMEA2000] can be sent to the Raymarine network [SeaTalkng], and used on the autopilot. Please see attached schematic diagram of instrument layout. Is it as simple as connecting the backbones of the two systems? Or is an interface box required to interfacer signal protocols or connection fittings. Any information you can provide to accomplish this would be most helpful. Thank you.

Regards,

David Tesar

svmerlin3@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-19, 01:33 PM
RE: [CA11] SeaTalkng to NMEA2000 interface
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum David,

Q1. Is it as simple as connecting the backbones of the two systems? Any information you can provide to accomplish this would be most helpful.
A1. Indeed it is. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, should you decide continue using backbones which have been constructed from two different manufacturer's networking components, then it would be recommended that you employ one of Maretron's Micro/Mid Field Attachable Connectors to modify a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable to permit this cable to be connected to the third party backbone.

Please note that these two backbones should be powered from a single 12V power insertion spur which is located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. Please additionally note that the SeaTalk bus will receive power from the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Accordingly, any currently installed power connections to the SeaTalk bus should be removed to prevent a ground loop.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply