Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Network Schematic
02-02-19, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-19 12:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Network Schematic
Hello,
I replaced several older Raymarine products (SL70C MFD, Raydome, & Raystar 125 GPS sensor) with new Garmin units (942xs MFD, 18xHD Dome, and Fusion radio/remote).

I still want to use my existing Raymarine Auto Pilot ACU200, P70R, A67 MFD, and ICOM M400BB.

I am curious if the attached network schematic is correct?

Q1. Is the power from the ACU200 enough to power the network or should I use the independent Garmin power cable (yellow) and turn the power from the ACU200 off?

Q2. Is the NMEA 2000 to STng cable properly connected? Wasn’t sure if I can use the blue backbone port or if I have to use a white spur cable port.

Q3. Is the NMEA 0183 for my ICOM M400BB hooked up properly?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Sea Ray 340 SDA_Electronics_Rev 2.pdf (Size: 224.46 KB / Downloads: 313)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-19, 02:07 PM
RE: [CA11] Network Schematic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Smuznu,

Q1. I am curious if the attached network schematic is correct?
A1. General comment: Per the FAQ found here, for simplicity and reliability, it is considered to be a best practice that the NMEA 2000 backbone be constructed from SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking components of a single manufacturer rather than create the backbone shown within your diagram.

The diagram which you have submitted is incorrect in the following ways:

- the diagram incorrectly shows a DeviceNet to SeaTalkng Spur adapter being used to join the two backbones. As indicated within the FAQ referenced above, a SeaTalkng backbone cable and a Maretron Micro/Mid Field Attachable Connector of the correct gender would be used for this purpose.

- the diagram incorrectly shows that the E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit has been interfaced as a spur to the backbone (i.e. connected to white spur socket). The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter included this kit is designed to be installed as a backbone component. Accordingly, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter included this kit should be connected to one end of the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable which will be connected to one of its backbone sockets. Alternatively, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter included this kit may installed at any point within the middle of the backbone where each of its backbone (blue) sockets will be connected to a SeaTalkng T-Piece or 5-Way Connector via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

Q2. Is the power from the ACU200 enough to power the network or should I use the independent Garmin power cable (yellow) and turn the power from the ACU200 off?
A2. Negative. It is recommended that the ACU200's SeaTalkng Power switch be configured to the OFF position and that either the SeaTalkng Power Cable (supplied with the Evolution autopilot and E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit) or the Garmin backbone power cable be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit and that it be used to power the backbone.

Q3. Is the NMEA 2000 to STng cable properly connected? Wasn’t sure if I can use the blue backbone port or if I have to use a white spur cable port.
A3. See the response to Q1.

Q4. Is the NMEA 0183 for my ICOM M400BB hooked up properly?
A4. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject ... specifically which leads of the supplied cable will be interfaced to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 Input leads / terminals.
02-06-19, 08:16 PM
Chuck,
Thanks for the response and input. I updated my network schematic based on your input. Does this now look correct?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Sea Ray 340 SDA_Electronics_Rev 3.pdf (Size: 222.02 KB / Downloads: 282)
02-07-19, 11:21 AM
Smuznu,

Your latest diagram appears to be correct.
02-07-19, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-19 08:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Perfect, thank you!
02-08-19, 08:48 AM
You're welcome.
02-27-19, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-19 09:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
What would be the recommended fuse size (amps) required for the main power input?
02-28-19, 09:55 AM
Smuznu,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing installation of power circuits for marine electronics. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, fuse / breaker recommendations for protecting circuits supplying power to Raymarine products may be found within the respective product's installation instructions. For those unfamiliar with marine electrical wiring, it is recommended that a marine electrical manual (ex. Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, etc.) be consulted or that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contracted to perform the installation.