Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Sea Talk failure
02-06-19, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-19 01:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Sea Talk failure
I got a sea talk failure on my St6002. Bases on prior threads on this forum, I pulled the control head and attached it to another course computer and it worked fine. I “thought” I heard clicking in the X10 like a malfunctioning relay, so I assume this confirms it is the x10 which has failed.

I have. M81135 rotary drive and the local marine electronics tech is telling me an X5 will work with this setup. Is this true and if not, which units would be compatible?

I am going to be short on time before my trip so repair probably isn’t an option.

Tia

Brian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-19, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-19 01:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Sea Talk failure
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

It is not recommend that an X5 be used with a rotary drive. The X5 was exclusively suited for use with wheel drives. With regard to rotary drives and SPX autopilots, the SPX10 should have been installed for use with Type 1 Rotary Drives and the SPX30 should have been installed for use with Type 2 Rotary Drives. Please note that Raymarine can still service SPX autopilot course computers. Accordingly, it would be recommended that the X10 autpilot course computer be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced or that the autopilot be replaced with an T70155 Evolution EV-200 Sail.
02-06-19, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-19 03:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.

I do have a type 1 rotary drive. I am away from the boat and will not have time for repair prior to the Bahamas trip.

If the X5 will not work (I have one readily available) will an S1G work as I can get my hands on one of those while the X10 is in for repair?

Thanks
02-06-19, 03:14 PM
Q. If the X5 will not work (I have one readily available) will an S1G work as I can get my hands on one of those while the X10 is in for repair?
A. Negative. Within the S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G autopilot course computer family, a S2 or S2G autopilot course computer would have been required for use with a Type 1 Rotary Drive.
02-06-19, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-19 03:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok. I can get an S2g as well to sub until I can get this one fixed.

You have been very helpful!

Thanks
02-18-19, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So, I got tbe course computer installed and still get SeaTalk Failure. I unplug the tridata from tbe system, and the st6002 comes alive in standby mode, but will not engage. I switched the cables around and with the tridata out of the loop (and obviously off) the autopilot works with just the wind instrument connected.

The only other thing that I see is the speed read out on the tridata that comes from the gps, is blank. I don’t have any spare SeaTalk cables and I am in Bimini, so I really can’t try that..

Any other ideas on what to try?
02-19-19, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 11:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Brian,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to identify the source of a SeaTalk failure. As indicated therein, device(s) having faulty SeaTalk communications circuitry may be identified through basic fault isolation. Follow the steps state therein to identify the faulty device(s) or cable(s). SeaTalk cables should be inspected for continuity as well as for shorts. The diagram below shows a SeaTalk socket's pinout which may be used in testing cables.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2666]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)