Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Newer MFD compatibility with e95
02-07-19, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-19 02:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Newer MFD compatibility with e95
Hi,
Just completed a passage on my boat and one of my two e95's MFD's stopped working. With power applied, it shows the "Raymarine" logo upon startup for about 5 seconds, then powers off. Then after a few seconds it tries to power back on again, logo shows for 5 seconds, then powers back off. Repeat. I removed the unit and some water came out of it, not sure how it got in but I am pretty sure it is fried.

Instead of just buying a replacement e95, is it possible to "mix and match" where I could buy a newer model MFD to replace the broken e95 and have it work alongside the currently functional e95? The equipment integrated into the network is a radar, wind sensor, depth/speed transducer, CP100 and CP200 sonars, autopilot and Fusion radio.

Many thanks,
'Dubs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-19, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-19 02:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Newer MFD compatibility with e95
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Rdubs,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Unless seeking to replace both MFDs, it would recommend replacing it with a refurbished e95 MFD from Raymarine's Online Store. These refurbished e95 MFDs are presently being offered at a significant discount (refurbished: $1199.99 (no chart ... at the time of this response); original e95 MSRP: $2199.99). This would also permit a simple swap with the failed MFD without need for any cable changes to the system or physical changes to the boat.
02-09-19, 05:08 PM
Hi Chuck
Thanks for the reply. That FAQ looked more to answer the compatibility with the Axiom, whereas I'd need to go with a eS9X upgrade, but it sounds like the eS9X would only have limited data sharing with the e95, if I read it right.

So it looks like if I wanted to upgrade the best choice would be an eS9X. Three quick questions:
1) Can I just plug in the same cables (network, power, etc.) currently going into my e95's into the eS9X's?
2) Do the eS9X's use the same cutout as the e95, or would I need to use a Dremel tool or something to widen the cutout?
3) I've read the differences between the eS97 and eS98, but should I pick one but not the other to replace the e95? I know these eS's have built-in sonars, but right now with my e95 I just use the external sonar modules for my CP100 and CP200, which I'm fine keeping as-is. Also, not that it would be ideal, but can I mix and match the eS97 and eS98, so one MFD would be a 97 and the other would be a 98?

Thanks.
02-11-19, 11:07 AM
Rdubs,

Q1. That FAQ looked more to answer the compatibility with the Axiom, whereas I'd need to go with a eS9X upgrade, but it sounds like the eS9X would only have limited data sharing with the e95, if I read it right.
A1. Incorrect and incorrect. As you had initially specified that you wanted to replace the failing e95 MFD with an Axiom MFD, the FAQ was intended to indicate that the Axiom MFD would be incompatible with the e95 MFD. It was my recommendation that the failed e95 MFD be replace to an refurbished e95 MFD to provide an exact duplication of previously capabilities with not need for replacing cables or modifying the mounting surface to accept the replacement MFD ... i.e. plug and play. While an eS95 MFD running LightHouse II v19.03 software may be used to replace the e95 MFD, the mounting surface would need to be modified to accept an eS9x MFD, the eS9x MFD differs in appearance / bezel to the e95 MFD, and an eS9x MFD would likely cost more than the refurbished e95 MFD.

Q2. So it looks like if I wanted to upgrade the best choice would be an eS9X.
A2. I disagree ... see the response to Q1.

Three quick questions:
Q3. Can I just plug in the same cables (network, power, etc.) currently going into my e95's into the eS9X's?
A3. Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input, Ethernet Network, and SeaTalkng cables/sockets are identical for the e95 MFDs and eS9x MFDs.

Q4. Do the eS9X's use the same cutout as the e95, or would I need to use a Dremel tool or something to widen the cutout?
A4. The cutout for the e95 and eS95 MFDs are not the same ... see the response to Q1.

Q4) I've read the differences between the eS97 and eS98, but should I pick one but not the other to replace the e95? I know these eS's have built-in sonars, but right now with my e95 I just use the external sonar modules for my CP100 and CP200, which I'm fine keeping as-is. Also, not that it would be ideal, but can I mix and match the eS97 and eS98, so one MFD would be a 97 and the other would be a 98?
A4. Given the currently installed fishfinder sounder modules, it wouldn't matter which model of eS9x MFD(s) will be installed. Like a/c/e/gS-Series MFDs, eS-Series MFDs may be mixed and matched in any combination or with any model of a/c/e/gS-Series MFD. Given that you already have the specified fishfinder sounder modules, eSx8 MFDs would be typically recommended as they are less expensive than eSx7 MFDs.
02-11-19, 04:32 PM
Hi Chuck
My apologies, I don’t think an Axiom would work well on my sailboat because the MFD’s can get wet and the knob / mini-joystick is key. The FAQ says under such situations the eS would be better.
So it sounds like I could get an eS9X to talk to the e95, including sharing radar and chart data if the eS was running the same lighthouse 2 version as the e95?

Last question, would the eS9X work with the regular depth sounder (it’s the one that has the transducer on one side and the speed log on the other)? Or to get that to work would I need to use only the 97 but not the 98, etc?
Thanks!
02-11-19, 05:24 PM
Rdubs,

Q1. My apologies, I don’t think an Axiom would work well on my sailboat because the MFD’s can get wet and the knob / mini-joystick is key.
A1. Again, I wasn't recommending an Axiom MFD to replace your failed e95 as they're incompatible. For the benefit of others who may be reading this post, Axiom Pro MFDs or a RMK-10 would be recommended for Axiom or Axiom XL MFD which was installed in a location which would not be conducive to dependable touchscreen operation.

Q2. So it sounds like I could get an eS9X to talk to the e95, including sharing radar and chart data if the eS was running the same lighthouse 2 version as the e95?
A2. Yes. As specified within my last response, like a/c/e/gS-Series MFDs, eS-Series MFDs may be mixed and matched in any combination or with any model of a/c/e/gS-Series MFD.

Q3. Last question, would the eS9X work with the regular depth sounder (it’s the one that has the transducer on one side and the speed log on the other)? Or to get that to work would I need to use only the 97 but not the 98, etc?
A3. I'm confused about these questions. You never stated what the depth/speed transducer which you referenced within your initial query had been directly interfaced to. The original pretext was the a single MFD would be purchased to replace damaged e95 MFD. Are you seeking to replace both MFDs? If considering a single MFD and an eS97 MFD instead of an eS98 MFD, then the eS97 MFD may be interfaced to a compatible 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder Depth/Speed/Temperature transducer to support use of the 50kHz, 200kHz, DownVision, (CHIRP) Sonar, and SideVision fishfinder channels on either of the system's MFDs.
02-21-19, 02:23 AM
Chuck-
I think I will try to replace the broken e95 with an eS98 running Lighthouse 2. I will need to widen the cutout a bit but should be doable.

Have a question for you that I admit is a bit odd since there is no way you would know directly, but maybe you know from having dealt with related issues before. Of the five plugs which were plugged into the e95, one was power, two were network, one was SeatalkNG, and the last one was a 15-pin connector that looks like it went to the Video port. I know the first four will plug straight in to the eS98, but that video will not. The problem is, I have no idea what that video cable could possibly be used for. I don't have a camera, or FLIR, or anything else I can think of that would use it. Do you know from experience what other uses that video cable might serve?

Thanks,
Dubs.
02-21-19, 09:08 AM
Dubs,

The e95 MFDs featured two analog video input ports. One was part of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable. The second was via the MFD's Video Input / Output port. Raymarine offered Video Accessory Cable which was designed to be interface to the MFD's Video Input / Output port. This cable featured a VGA plug permitting the cable to be mated to the VGA video input port of a TV or VGA monitor, permitting the MFD's screen image to be repeated on the TV or VGA monitor.

The eS9x MFDs do not feature a video output port supporting a VGA analog video signal. Instead, these MFDs feature a HDMI video output port to likewise permit the MFD to be mated to the HDMI video input port of a TV or monitor, permitting the MFD's screen image to be repeated on the TV or monitor. The part number for the eS9x/eS12x MFD's HDMI Video Output Cable is A80219.
03-15-19, 09:45 AM
Hi Chuck
I bought that refurbished eS98 and installed it. Everything works well, it talks to the older e95. But, the boat “speed” is showing as zero. Not speed over ground, the speed through the water or whichever one is used as the input to calculate true wind speed and direction. Any ideas what I can check to try and get the speed indicator working again? I have depth just fine and I think speed and depth come off the same transducer, at least I’ve only ever been able to find one transducer.
Thanks!
03-15-19, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-19 10:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rdubs,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the requirements for true wind calculations. DownVision and CPT-S fishfinder transducers (i.e. the type of fishfinder transducers which are designed to be interfaced to the TRANSDUCER socket of an ax8/eSx8 MFD) do not feature speed through water (STW) sensing capability. However, should the system include a STW sensor, then any MFD within the system will support population of the Speed data item. Should no STW sensing device be installed within the system, then the Speed data item will be reported as -.-.. Similarly, SOG will be reported as -.- when the vessel's speed drops to or below 1kt. If the Speed data item is reporting 0.0, then it is possible that the STW transducer has been fouled, there is a problem with its connections to the instrument, the transducer has failed, or the instrument has failed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a STW transducer. Should the system feature a source of STW sensing (i.e. a transducers feature a speed through water paddlewheel), then please identify the make/model of transducer and what instrument or fishfinder it has been directly connected to.