Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Linking Es127 and Axiom Pro MFDs
02-08-19, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-19 09:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Linking Es127 and Axiom Pro MFDs
Hello,
I have some questions about linking Es127 and Axiom Pro MFDs that I could not find answers to on the forum search.

I used to have E120 and E80 MFDs networked as part of a multi generational network upgraded in pieces since 2008. I believe that the MFDs were linked via SeaTalk HS to SeaTalk ng but I am not positive. I would like to now link newer MFDs. I have a Quantum radar in the system that could be run via WiFi or connected via cable with my legacy combined data and power cable from my former HD radar. Additionally, this is a sailing catamaran that has an older sonar unit, an older wind speed and direction, and older GPS, a newer CHIRP Downvision sonar, and a newer autopilot (all Raymarine). My current network is a mix of SeaTalk ng, SeaTalk HS, RJ45, and seaTalk1. I am currently in NZ with access to parts but this network has been jury rigged since leaving the Chesapeake Bay 2 years ago. I have had radars and MFDs fail under warranty that were replaced over the last 2 years so I would like to keep as much redundancy as possible since we are often fairly remote (thus 2 MFDs, 2 sonars, 2 auto pilots, 2 radars - one at a time).

I now have an Axiom Pro with Lighthouse 3 and I am updating an Es127 to Lighthouse 3 so they can be linked between the helm and the nav station inside that are separated by about 25 ft of cable run. Both are important for backup but since I have them I would like to link them. My questions are:

1) What direct or indirect cable connections are required to link these newer chart plotters? Can they be connected via WiFi? Or, would they be better linked with a new direct Raynet connection? My current cables are too short but I could buy a longer one if this is best.

2) My current plan was to attach the Es127 to the network with the "A80160 RayNet to SThs Socket Adaptor Cable" to get the Es127 on the network and see what happens and to see if I can pick up the other sensors. Is this reasonable?

3) If I connect my CHIRP Downvision sonar directly into the Es127 (did this before when it was my only MFD) will it be visible on the network and Axiom Pro? It cannot connect directly to the Axiom Pro. I had to buy the Axiom when I had to send the Es27 back for warranty repair while in French Polynesia and had to leave FP.

4) Is there a way to connect the CHIRP Downvision sonar directly to the Axiom Pro? I have another legacy sonar from 2008 on the network but I would like to see both and have redundancy. I am aware of the switching necessary to see both but we were able to do this on the Es127 when it was critical.

I know that this this is just partial information but I appreciate any advice that you can provide that would help me make progress.
Best wishes and thanks again,
Brian (SV Counting Stars)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-19, 10:43 AM
RE: [CA11] Linking Es127 and Axiom Pro MFDs
Welcome to the Rayamrine Forum Brian,

Q1a) What direct or indirect cable connections are required to link these newer chart plotters?
A1a) The following two FAQs apply this refit:
- Replacing an E-Series Classic MFD with an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD
- Replacing an E-Series Classic MFD with an Axiom Pro MFD
Like the E-Series Classic MFDs, the new MFDs will be interfaced to on another via an Ethernet network. Please see the FAQ referenced above concerning how to adapt a SeaTalkhs Cable to be mated to a MFD having an Ethernet communications socket which is designed to accept a RayNet (F) plug.

Q1b) Can they be connected via WiFi?
A1b) Negative

Q1c. Or, would they be better linked with a new direct Raynet connection? My current cables are too short but I could buy a longer one if this is best.
A1c. See the response to Q1a.

Q2) My current plan was to attach the Es127 to the network with the "A80160 RayNet to SThs Socket Adaptor Cable" to get the Es127 on the network and see what happens and to see if I can pick up the other sensors. Is this reasonable?
A2) If the eS127 MFD is not the system's Data Master MFD, then it would indeed only need to be interfaced to the system via the MFD's Ethernet communications interface. Those seeking a level of redundancy will additionally interface the non-Data Master MFD(s) as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to permit either MFD to function as the system's Data Master MFD.

Q3) If I connect my CHIRP Downvision sonar directly into the Es127 (did this before when it was my only MFD) will it be visible on the network and Axiom Pro? It cannot connect directly to the Axiom Pro. I had to buy the Axiom when I had to send the Es27 back for warranty repair while in French Polynesia and had to leave FP.
A3) The eS127 cannot be directly interfaced to a CHIRP transducer, as the internal fishfinder circuitry of an eS127 MFD is designed to exclusively support 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder transducers. However, should the eS127 be interfaced via Ethernet to a CP100, CP470, or CP570 fishfinder sounder module w/compatible transducer, then it would support CHIRP fishfinder sonar features. Alternatively, a DownVision or CPT-S CHIRP transducer may be interfaced to an Axiom Pro S MFD to support low power / high frequency CHIRP fishfinder sonar features.

Q4) Is there a way to connect the CHIRP Downvision sonar directly to the Axiom Pro? I have another legacy sonar from 2008 on the network but I would like to see both and have redundancy. I am aware of the switching necessary to see both but we were able to do this on the Es127 when it was critical.
A4) LightHouse 3 software supports multiple fishfinder sonars within a single system. Please note that the eS127 and Axiom Pro S MFDs each feature two Ethernet communications interfaces. As a best installation practice, it is recommended that the system utilize a HS5 RayNet Network Switch(es) (a retired SeaTalkhs Network Switch may also be used) and that each compatible device having an Ethernet communications interface (ex. MFDs, radomes, fishfinder sounder modules, IP cameras, thermal cameras, etc.) be connected to the Network Switch. Again, this would facilitate having either MFD function as the system's Data Master MFD and still have access to each of the system's devices having an Ethernet communications interface.
02-08-19, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-19 10:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thank you for the help and information! I will see what I can do and follow up if I have any additional questions.
Best wishes and thanks again,
Brian
02-11-19, 10:08 AM
You're welcome.