Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] How do I replace a ST60 Wind with a ST60+ CH Wind display ?
02-10-19, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-19 09:30 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] How do I replace a ST60 Wind with a ST60+ CH Wind display ?
The ST60 Wind display packed up recently and the Raymarine agent local to the boat at the time reckoned it was not worth repairing. I searched online and found a ST60+ wind instrument for sale which looked good. I understood from online searches that the ST60+ instruments were compatible and purchased the replacement unit which was boxed & brand new (old unsold stock). However, it turns out to be a ST60+CH (Close Hauled variation) ... I didn't anticipate any difference, but for some reason, the connections on the back are different to the standard ST60+ Wind instrument - there are seatalk connectors but no inputs for the wind information coming from the masthead.

From diagrams I can find online, it looks like I would have been OK with a ST60+ which looks to have the same connections, but for some reason (why!??) the ST60+ CH doesn't have them.

My question is ... is there any way I can make use of this, or should I sell it and look for a ST60+ Wind Instrument. If it's feasible to make it work, what connectors/wiring would I need ?

many thanks,

Aidan.

ps. I've attached a picture of the back of a ST60+ CH , and diagrams of the back of an old ST60 Wind and ST60+ Wind to show what I mean, but I cant seem to include them in the body of the post.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-19, 09:34 AM
RE: [DG11] How do I replace a ST60 Wind with a ST60+ CH Wind display ?
Hi Aidan,

The CH (Close Hauled) display is purely a repeater and cannot be connected direct to a masthead transducer. Your only option is to find an ST60+ 360 Wind display or a new i60 wind display.

I hope this helps?
Regards
Derek
02-13-19, 05:08 PM
Hi Derek,

Many thanks for confirming that. Some subsequent searching in the manual led me to fear that might be the case. Although I couldn't see any warning/discussion about this elsewhere online, it must be a common pitfall for the unwary - they look nearly identical to the standard wind instrument at first glance, you wouldn't really anticipate the electronics to read from the wind transducer be missing from the close hauled version. The marketing guys must have had a hand in that!.

Buyer beware as they say. I will have a look for a second hand ST60/ST60+ (wind version) or a new i60 as you say. Do you know if the ST60 Wind CH has the same limitations as the ST60+ CH version ? If not, it could be an option for me too.

best regards & thanks,
Aidan.
02-14-19, 05:37 AM
Hi Aidan,

The CH versions of all generations of the wind display is exactly the same and is a repeater only, from ST50CH, ST50+ CH, ST60 CH and ST60+ CH and the i60 CH are all repeater type displays.

The standard 360 degree display is the only version that can be connected to the masthead transducer and is the only one that can calibrate the wind direction pointer.

Regards
Derek
02-16-19, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-19 08:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Many thanks Derek,
I appreciate the info.
best regards,
Aidan.
02-19-19, 11:47 AM
Hi Aidan,

You're welcome, happy to help,

Brgds

Derek