Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] ST7000 Watch Alarm
02-11-19, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 09:57 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] ST7000 Watch Alarm
hi there

i have recently purchased a 40' cat fitted with raymarine instruments including a ST7000 autopilot.

this autopilot has the watch alarm enabled (so beeps every 4 mins) but when scrolling through 'Display' there is no WATCH page to allow it to be turned off

apparently there is a permanent watch alarm (PWA) feature available on the ST7000 - but how can i tell if this is enabled ?

if the PWA is enabled, how can i disable / remove this ?

any other ideas / suggestions how to stop this alarm ? seriously considering just removing the 'beeper' but this would silence ALL alarms (eg XTE etc)...plus the raymarine plotter goes off in sympathy as well, so might be a step too far...

i know the pilot is 20 years old, but in all other respects it works fine and it would be a sorry state of affairs if necessary to dump it.

cheers,

chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-19, 10:10 AM
RE: [DG11] ST7000 Watch Alarm
Hi Chris,

The ST7000 Autopilot when connected to a T300 or T100 course computer had a permanent watch alarm feature, which when enabled was a permanent feature. It was implemented to satisfy a requirement for light commercial use at that time, subsequently different regulations were enacted and the feature was removed.

Once the watch alarm has been triggered, there was a detailed process to launch it, it could not be disabled since it was permanently enabled in the course computer. the only way to remove it was to return the course computer to our Factory workshops.

Regards

Derek
02-17-19, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
hi derek

many thanks. sorry a bit slow to reply

i realise this course computer is rather old now, so before i go down the path of sending it back to the workshop, are you able to confirm 100% that you can still do it ? ie is the required hardware / software still available ?

this respect, i've spoken to raymarine australia and the nice folk there did not even know that there was a permanent watch alarm feature let alone how to remove it...

where would the computer need to be sent please ?

meanwhile : if we replace the computer (groan...) are you able to advise me if any of the currently available course computers will still interface with the ST7000 control head ?

i suppose it might be possible to find a second hand T300 or T100 but ??

your assistance is much appreciated

cheers,

chris
02-19-19, 11:58 AM
HI Chris,

I will check that our workshop can still help with this age of computer and get back to you.

If we can, then the computer will need to be returned to our EMEA Service centre in the UK,

Raymarine UK Ltd
Marine House
Cartwright Drive
Fareham
PO15 5RJ
Hampshire

The ST7000 Control unit can be linked to the current generation of EVolution autopilot systems, although since it is a SeaTalk unit, you would need to use the E22158 SeaTalk to STng converter, you would still need a new control unit, p70s or p70Rs because this would be needed to calibrate the autopilot.

regards

Derek
02-24-19, 10:58 PM
hi derek

an update which supersedes the earlier questions : i have sourced a used (but working) T300 course computer, which understand can happily replace the T100 unit that has the watch alarm activated.

i fitted same today and all seems ok except the new unit is NOT seeing the rudder reference unit

do you know why this would be ?

wiring is correct and RRF was new only 6 months ago

any suggestions please ?

thanks !

cheers,

chris
02-25-19, 08:38 AM
Hi Chris,

After chacking the connections and the resistances of the rudder reference unit to make sure that it is not faulty, check the calibration settings in the T300, Drive type 1 and 2 are both non rudder reference enabled drive settings, make sure it is set to Drive type 3 for Mechanical drives and Drive type 4 for Hydraulic.

Thanks
Derek
02-16-20, 05:41 PM
Derek,

I have a similar issue, but with an ST6001 panel. The Watch alarm comes up every 5 minutes or so, and if the Standby button is not pressed within 30 seconds, the whole system goes into Standby Mode. Is this a hardware issue too? Can it be removed somehow?

Thanks,

David
02-17-20, 07:23 AM
Hi David,

It sounds like you too have initiated the permanent watch alarm, Given the likely age of the course computer, it is unlikely we will now have any spares for the unit, since once initiated, the alarm cannot be removed.

You may try sending the course computer to our service workshops and we can then check if we have spares for it, if not, the only option is to replace the course computer

Regards

Derek
02-17-20, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-20 09:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
hi david

as you may have seen from my earlier posts, I had a similar problem. the only way around it was to replace the auto pilot :-(

at least I made this an upgrade at the same time

another chap I spoke to disconnected the alarm speaker, however I didn't think this was the way to go

good luck !

cheers,

chris
02-19-20, 10:38 AM
Hi Chris and David,

Disconnecting the buzzer will not prove a long term solution, since the permanent watch alarm will disengage the pilot after a further minute of the alarm triggering.

I am afraid the alarm, once set is embedded in the computer and cannot be reset unless the Eeprom is replaced - it may be worth returning the computer to see if this is possible - unfortunately it is not possible in every case and the reliability of the replacement process is unpredictable.

the safest course of action is to upgrade the computer and pilot ancillaries.

Regards

Derek