Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] "Current Limit" st6002
02-12-19, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-19 09:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] "Current Limit" st6002
Hi, I have an st6002, spX10, running a type 1 drive unit, via sprocket & chain on a Lightwave 38 Catamaran
These components have done around 2000 nm. Last time I went engage it, the screen showed auto as it usually does and then in around 30 seconds there was an alarm and the message “current limit”.
I returned to manual operation an looked up the manual to discover that the problem was probably a steering jamb, or a drive unit fault. Since the steering was as free as it has always been, I removed the drive unit and took off the cover. I discovered that all the screws were quite loose and in fact the whole electric clutch mount was very loose. I then split the gearbox case and a small cap screw fell out (the one from the clutch mount). I then reassembled the unit using thread-lock to try to avoid the problem occurring again.
When I retried using auto again I got the same message.
I then isolated the rudder reference unit to see if that had anything to do with it but no luck, same message.
I then disconnected the wiring to the drive unit, same message.
I’m stumped. I get a message saying current limit when there is no current being used. Do i have to somehow clear the code or do a reset to get it all back up & running again?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Trevor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-19, 10:09 AM
RE: [CA11] "Current Limit" st6002
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Trevor,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In this case, it would be recommended that both the drive unit and autopilot course computer be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
02-27-19, 08:31 AM
I'll make the "Current Limit" error even more complicated. LOL...

I've read Chuck's diagnostic tests, etc. And, in full disclosure, I have *not* performed them - yet - but plan to.

Here's my question.

In my case, I turn on the boat, and I get no error on my ST800x (forget which one I have)...

Then in about 30 seconds, like the previous poster mentioned, I get the "Current Limit" error.

I run the boat for a little while... the error goes away, and the autopilot works flawlessly.

My thought is this. I have a dual station, dual steering piston power catamaran. I wonder if air at the pump could be an issue? If not, then what.

The batteries (4 31 series) are all on a Noco charger and all in good condition.

E120 Classic (Master) & E80 Classic (Upper Station) - 10KW 4' Open - DSM300 w/Airmar M260 - S1 AP (Type 1 Pump) w/8002 & 6002 - SeaTalkHG - And... lots and lots of wire and boxes. :-)
02-27-19, 12:01 PM
Trevor,

In addition to the items specified within the previously referenced FAQ, it would be recommended that the vessel be connected to shore power, that its batteries be permitted to attain a fully charged state, and that afterwards and while still connected to shore power, the system should be switched ON, and the autopilot should be left in Standby mode. Should the "Current Limit" message be reported under these conditions, then it would be recommended that the autopilot course computer be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
02-27-19, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-19 01:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The curious part is this:

When batteries are all fully charged, and systems are first turned on, the error is displayed. Then the error goes away after about 5 minutes.

You're thinking computer?

E120 Classic (Master) & E80 Classic (Upper Station) - 10KW 4' Open - DSM300 w/Airmar M260 - S1 AP (Type 1 Pump) w/8002 & 6002 - SeaTalkHG - And... lots and lots of wire and boxes. :-)
02-27-19, 01:07 PM
Trevor,

Q. You're thinking computer?
A. If the batteries are fully charged and the autopilot is in Standby when the reported issued occurs, then the course computer is indeed the most suspect item. You may want to also check power and ground connections from the course computer through panels or breaker bars all the way back to the batteries to ensure that all connections are free of corrosion and tight.
02-27-19, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-19 02:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
10-4. You've been most helpful! :) I have a lot to go on now between this thread and the FAQs.

Much appreciated,
Pete :)

02-27-19, 02:19 PM
You're welcome.