Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] replacing C80 with two E80's Seatalk connection
02-12-19, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-19 08:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] replacing C80 with two E80's Seatalk connection
IF the E80 at the helm is connected to all the seatalk instruments (through spliced seatalk 3 wire cable - from the C80 wiring), can I direct connect the nav station E80 to the Helm E80 with the high speed cable seatalk (high speed network cable), and be able to share seatalk data between these two E80 units??

If this is not correct, how do I share the seatalk instrument data between the two E80 units??
Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-19, 09:22 AM
RE: [CA11] replacing C80 with two E80's Seatalk connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

Q. IF the E80 at the helm is connected to all the seatalk instruments (through spliced seatalk 3 wire cable - from the C80 wiring), can I direct connect the nav station E80 to the Helm E80 with the high speed cable seatalk (high speed network cable), and be able to share seatalk data between these two E80 units??
A. Yes. The system's Data Master MFD will share all data received via its SeaTalk and NMEA 0183 communications with the system's other E-Series Classic MFDs, when these MFDs have been interfaced via Ethernet network (SeaTalkhs) communications. The SeaTalkhs sockets of these two MFDs were meant to be linked to one another via one of the following means:
- a pair of SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 cables which have been joined with a SeaTalkhs Crossover Coupler
- a pair of SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 cables which have been connected to a SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired)
- a pair of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables which have each been connected to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch and have each been adapted with an A80513 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Adapter.
02-12-19, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 08:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,
I am having a little difficulty with the nomenclature - do you have a diagram that I could use to understand this E80 to E80 connection through the network switch - is this a E55058 junction box that I can get on e-bay?? If so, then is it just the ethernet cables to the E55058?
Thank you
02-13-19, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 11:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
andyschoenb,

Diagrams as well as other information associated with E-Series Classic MFDs may be found within the E-Series Networked Display Installation Manual. Of particular interest would be the typical two node system incorporating two displays diagram within Chapter 2.4 Integrating an E-Series display of this manual. The E55058 is the SeaTalkhs Network Switch which I had referenced within my initial response and detailed within the E-Series Networked Display Installation Manual.
02-13-19, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 11:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck that is very helpful.
I have a related question to connecting the C80 seatalk wire to the replacement E80. Since the C80 wire is a 3 prong and the E80 is a 6 prong plug, do I just connect the corresponding 3 wires, and if I do this, can you please explain what functions I will loose not connecting the remaining 3 wires from the E80 plug?
Thank you
02-13-19, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 11:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andy,

When splicing the SeaTalk cable which had been connected to the C-Series display to the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable, it is recommended that only two leads be connected unless the devices on the SeaTalk bus are limited to the MFD and GPS sensor. In such cases,
- the yellow lead of the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable will be interfaced to the yellow lead of the SeaTalk Cable
- the black lead of the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable will be interfaced to the shield lead of the SeaTalk Cable
- the red leads of the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable and SeaTalk Cable will not be used. These leads should be insulated to prevent shorting.

Should you review the E-Series Networked Display Installation Manual (link provided within my last response, you will find that the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable supplied with the E-Series Classic MFDs features Alarm leads, as per the cable's name. If desired, the corresponding leads of the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable may be interfaced to a piezoelectric horn to provide an auxiliary alarm (ex. in berthing area, etc.) or an alarm having a frequency which is within the audible frequency capabilities of hearing impaired operator.
02-13-19, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 12:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck for that last response - I have one last question.
Because I must change the NavPod from the shallow depth one on the C80 to a deeper one for the E80 I am stuck with a dilemma. It is not possible to get the Radar plug through the [censored] in the NavPod.
I can either cut the [censored] in the NavPod bigger and risk water intrusion, or cut the radar cable and use a junction block for re-connection. Is there an issue with cutting the radar cable (number and size of wires) and using a junction block for reconnecting??? Will this negatively affect the performance of the radar??
Thank you for your support
02-13-19, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 12:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andy,

Q. Is there an issue with cutting the radar cable (number and size of wires) and using a junction block for reconnecting?
A. Should you have radome featuring and analog video interface, as would a radar cable which is attached to the MFD's RADAR socket, then please click here to view a thread in which I had previously addressed the subject of splicing the radar cable of a radar transducer having an analog video interface.
02-13-19, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 12:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck - I do not believe this radar cable has a video interface. I believe it is an older system. Would I still follow the same splicing thread you referenced or would this be a simpler junction box / terminal strip connection? since your thread indicates that splicing is acceptable (and often done), do you have a diagram of the cable (number and size of the internal wires)?

Again thank you for your help
02-13-19, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 12:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andy,

Q1. I do not believe this radar cable has a video interface. I believe it is an older system.
A1. C-Series Classic MFDs exclusively supported radomes and open array pedestals featuring an analog video interface. In the case of E-Series MFDs, these MFD were compatible it both radar transducers having an analog video interface and radar transducers having an Ethernet communications interface. Per my last response, should the radar cable have been connected to a socket labeled "RADAR", then the radar cable is designed to support a radar transducer having an analog video interface. Radar transducers having an Ethernet communications interface will be interfaced to the system's SeaTalkhs Network Switch or to the MFD's Ethernet Network (SeaTalkhs) socket.

Q2. Would I still follow the same splicing thread you referenced or would this be a simpler junction box / terminal strip connection? since your thread indicates that splicing is acceptable (and often done), do you have a diagram of the cable (number and size of the internal wires)?
A2. You're overthinking this task. As indicated within the previously referenced thread, a third party weather-proof marine grade junction box or terminal strip. When joining the two radar cable segments one would simply match leads of the same color from each cable segment. The shield from the two cable segments should also be joined together. Please click here to view a FAQ which provides information on the number of leads within an analog radar cable.