Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
07-08-19, 11:00 AM
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
Hi Chuck,

I have finally received my MMSI number and have successfully finalized my AIS transponder. I am still having an issue connecting the E70196 to my VHF to receive Lat Lon info. My E70196 has a flashing light on it and data is indeed being transmitted through it since it is part of my backbone and all is working fine. I connected the yellow wire with the positive end to the red NMEA 0183 input wire on my VHF and the negative wire to the negative VHF wire since my VHF unit does not have a dedicated negative wire as you instructed.

No GPS data showing on my VHF and it says NO LOCATION in its display. I tried restarting all electronics and that had no effect. Maybe my VHF unit is not compatible with this? Though it has the NMEA 0183 input wire. Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-19, 05:58 PM
Scott,

Q. I connected the yellow wire with the positive end to the red NMEA 0183 input wire on my VHF and the negative wire to the negative VHF wire since my VHF unit does not have a dedicated negative wire as you instructed.
A. It appears that you have incorrectly connected the VHF radio to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, the red lead from SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should be connected to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN+ lead/terminal. The yellow lead from SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should be connected to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN- lead/terminal (or to the negative power lead and battery negative should the VHF radio not have a NMEA 0183 IN- lead/terminal).
12-02-19, 03:55 PM
Hello,

I am getting ready to replace my old ST60 Wind and Tridata as well as my ST6001 control head. I have attached my diagram with red being the new additions.

1. p70s to S2 Course Computer Connection - What wire do I need to make this connection? Does the side that plugs into the course computer terminate as it does now for the ST6001?

2. i70s connection to backbone - Is the diagram correct? Simply plug spur cable that comes with i70s into the E22158 in the open spur slot and the open blue termination slot? I wasn't sure if you could connect a screen to the blue port. No additional power or connections needed?

3. I currently have a speed/temp transducer and a depth transducer through hulls as well as the wind vane on the top of the mast. All of my current transducers are not working 100% so I'd like to replace them. I wasn't sure the best way to complete this project. Is the T70226 i70s System Pack the best way to go using the ITC-5 and only one through hull transducer vs have a separate one for depth and speed/temp? Looking for recommendations here that would be the best choice to use for my network. Also, will I be able to use the same holes and simply screw in the new through hull transducers without rebedding new complete through hulls? Or is it better to replace the entire unit?

4. Will the autopilot be able to get data to steer by the wind? Will the Axiom be able to use the new sailing lay lines and tacking data once the new i70s displays and transducers are connected?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Ventus_Electronics.pdf (Size: 13.79 KB / Downloads: 275)
12-03-19, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-19 12:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Scott,

Q1. p70s to S2 Course Computer Connection - What wire do I need to make this connection? Does the side that plugs into the course computer terminate as it does now for the ST6001?
A1. An A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter cable would be used for this purpose. If separated more than 1m from the course computer, then the aforementioned adapter cable will be plugged into a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. An appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit connectors on each end will then be used to connect the D244 to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port. To do so, the plug will be cut from the course computer end of the SeaTalk cable. The SeaTalk Cable's yellow and screen leads of the SeaTalk cable will be connected to the color coded terminals of the course computer's SeaTalk port. The red lead of the SeaTalk Cable will not be used and will be insulated to prevent shorting.

Q2. i70s connection to backbone - Is the diagram correct? Simply plug spur cable that comes with i70s into the E22158 in the open spur slot and the open blue termination slot? I wasn't sure if you could connect a screen to the blue port. No additional power or connections needed?
A2. This is incorrect. An additional spur (white) socket will need to be added to the backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3a. I currently have a speed/temp transducer and a depth transducer through hulls as well as the wind vane on the top of the mast. All of my current transducers are not working 100% so I'd like to replace them. I wasn't sure the best way to complete this project. Is the T70226 i70s System Pack the best way to go using the ITC-5 and only one through hull transducer vs have a separate one for depth and speed/temp?
A3a. For those seeking to maximize performance of depth and speed data, it is considered to be a best installation practice to install separate depth and speed/temp transducers. Please note that the iTC-5 is not shown within your diagram. The iTC-5 must be installed as a backbone component (i.e. connected to the backbone via a backbone cable(s).

Q3. Looking for recommendations here that would be the best choice to use for my network. Also, will I be able to use the same holes and simply screw in the new through hull transducers without rebedding new complete through hulls? Or is it better to replace the entire unit?
A3. The answer to this question is dependent upon which model of instrument thru-hull transducer(s) have been installed onboard. Most depth transducers are not retractable and as such the entire transducer would need to be replaced if determined to be faulty. Also, most instrument thru-hull transducers utilize a 2" [censored], making them fairly simple to replace if necessary. Finally, transducer parts such as a replacement insert may be available. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing where one may obtain replacement thru-hull transducer parts.

Q4a. Will the autopilot be able to get data to steer by the wind?
A4a. Yes

Q4b. Will the Axiom be able to use the new sailing lay lines and tacking data once the new i70s displays and transducers are connected?
A4b. Yes.
12-10-19, 10:32 AM
Hi Chuck,

Updated diagram attached.

So if the p70s is connected to the course computer without the red wire how does it receive power since it is not connected to the backbone? Is how I have it noted correct?

Are all connections noted correctly on the new diagram? Everything being added is in red.

Regarding the ITC-5, I assume my diagram is correct in that it simply receives power from the backbone (does not need additional power)?

I spoke to Gemeco and they gave me info on what transducers will fit in my existing through hulls. The ones I have currently picked out are still the old analog version (which require the ITC-5). Since I am updating all of my electronics, does it make sense to switch to Smart Transducers or should I stick with this setup with analog and the ITC-5? It doesn't look like Raymarine has a smart wind vane anyways but wondered what your thoughts were on this.

Regarding the ITC-5, does my rudder transducer for the S2 need to be routed to the ITC-5 or should it remain connected where it is....I assume that is the S2.

Can the ITC-5 be mounted inside my nav station? It would be near my AIS700, Axiom7 and HS5. My VHF is located on the other side of the Nav station so it wouldn't be right next to that.

One a different issue - I have noticed over this past season the Axiom sometimes takes a while to gather satellites and get a fix on position. Sometimes I even have to restart the GPS. I have also noticed that the SOG will jump around sometimes (ex...6.5 to 13, then come back down to 6.5 if I am going 6.5). This behavior doesn't happen all the time but does happen often. I have the Axiom 9 as the GPS master and it is located in my sailboats cockpit under a sunbrella Bimini and inside a NavPod. Should I consider an auxiliary GPS antenna? If so, which is best for my network? I would need to rail mount it. I have a GPS antenna on the rail currently for the AIS700, could I mount this one next to that without creating any interference issues?

Please see page 2 of the diagram, I noted removing the current power for the ST60 instruments. This is correct, right? Since I am powering the i70s' with the backbone.

Lastly, I want to make sure that I don't over load the backbone with devices that need power from the backbone. I heard there is a limit, is that correct? Just want to make sure my system as noted in the diagram is all good as far as this is concerned.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Ventus_Electronics.pdf (Size: 14.34 KB / Downloads: 244)
12-10-19, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-19 10:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Scott,

Q1. So if the p70s is connected to the course computer without the red wire how does it receive power since it is not connected to the backbone? Is how I have it noted correct?
A1. The diagram incorrectly shows that the power lead (red) of the SeaTalk cable connecting the autopilot course computer to the p70S should not be used ... in fact this lead will be connected to the red SeaTalk terminal of the autopilot course computer.

Q2. Are all connections noted correctly on the new diagram? Everything being added is in red.
A2. The spur that the SeaTalkng Power Cable connects too need to be closer to the midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. Regarding the ITC-5, I assume my diagram is correct in that it simply receives power from the backbone (does not need additional power)?
A3. The diagram is correct with regard to the iTC-5.

Q4. I spoke to Gemeco and they gave me info on what transducers will fit in my existing through hulls. The ones I have currently picked out are still the old analog version (which require the ITC-5). Since I am updating all of my electronics, does it make sense to switch to Smart Transducers or should I stick with this setup with analog and the ITC-5? It doesn't look like Raymarine has a smart wind vane anyways but wondered what your thoughts were on this.
A4. I would recommend proceeding with the analog transducers.

Q5. Regarding the ITC-5, does my rudder transducer for the S2 need to be routed to the ITC-5 or should it remain connected where it is....I assume that is the S2.
A5. For systems featuring an autopilot, the rudder reference transducer must be interfaced directly to the autopilots course computer / ACU.

Q6. Can the ITC-5 be mounted inside my nav station? It would be near my AIS700, Axiom7 and HS5. My VHF is located on the other side of the Nav station so it wouldn't be right next to that.
A6. Raymarine no requirements to the contrary for the installation location of the iTC-5.

Q7. Please see page 2 of the diagram, I noted removing the current power for the ST60 instruments. This is correct, right? Since I am powering the i70s' with the backbone.
A7. Yes.

Q8. Lastly, I want to make sure that I don't over load the backbone with devices that need power from the backbone. I heard there is a limit, is that correct? Just want to make sure my system as noted in the diagram is all good as far as this is concerned.
A8. This system is well under the maximum number of devices for a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. See my response to Q2 addressing where the power insertion spur should be located.
12-11-19, 08:57 AM
Hi Chuck,

Almost there....

Updated diagram attached.

I looked up the LEN loads and added a few things. I wasn't sure of the LEN loads of the following, do you know?

T70134
E70196
E22158
A06064

Also not sure if the S2 Course Computer and Icom VHF had any LEN?

I added the Fusion Stereo and moved the power connection spur over to try and help center the load. As I see it now aside from the above listed...I have 6 LEN on one side and 8 LEN on the other. Is this acceptable? I dont think I can run the RS150 GPS all the way to the nav station because I am fairly certain it is farther than 20' (spur cable that comes with RS150 is roughly 20').

I also added Quantum 2 Radar in blue since it will be a future purchase but wanted to show the entire system. I believe it only connects to the HS5 Network Switch via Raynet cable so would not have a LEN load on the backbone, correct? I also added it to page 2 for its power connection with a 5 amp fuse, correct?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Ventus_Electronics.pdf (Size: 16.72 KB / Downloads: 295)
12-11-19, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-19 10:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Scott,

Q1. I looked up the LEN loads and added a few things. I wasn't sure of the LEN loads of the following, do you know?
A1: LEN values below:
T70134 - 0 ... this is a backbone starter kit
E70196 - 1
E22158 - 1
A06064 - 0 ... this is a 5-Way connector

Q2. Also not sure if the S2 Course Computer and Icom VHF had any LEN?
A2. Negative and negative.

Q3. I added the Fusion Stereo and moved the power connection spur over to try and help center the load. As I see it now aside from the above listed...I have 6 LEN on one side and 8 LEN on the other. Is this acceptable?
A3. That's close enough.

Q4a. I also added Quantum 2 Radar in blue since it will be a future purchase but wanted to show the entire system. I believe it only connects to the HS5 Network Switch via Raynet cable so would not have a LEN load on the backbone, correct?
A4a. Correct

Q4b. I also added it to page 2 for its power connection with a 5 amp fuse, correct?
A4b. Correct. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommendations for marine electronics power circuits.
12-11-19, 01:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks again so much for all of your great help! Very much appreciated!
12-11-19, 01:38 PM
You're welcome.