Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV-400 Rudder feedback
02-19-19, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 03:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV-400 Rudder feedback
In the process of installing Ev-400 system on a 38’ 18,000 lbs boat with triple 300hp Suzuki outboards. EV-400 was chosen due to the steering cylinder size and drive pump needed.

I have read a few places and been told that the rudder reference unit is not needed with outboards. If this is true then it’s a none issue. However if one is needed the rudder reference unit supplied in the kit would have to be mounted on the transom exposed to constant salt water exposure.

I’ve read everything on the site that I thought might be pertaining to this issue but have not seen anything that is a definitive answer.

So question is.....is it a must install? If so any suggestions on mounting the unit and protection from the elements?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-19, 03:55 PM
RE: [CA11] EV-400 Rudder feedback
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jon,

In many cases, a rudder reference transducer is not required for Evolution autopilots. However for maximum performance, it is recommended that a rudder reference transducer be installed. Slower moving vessels (ex. those operating a trolling speeds or following fishing patterns) and vessels operating in seas will benefit most from interfacing a rudder reference transducer to an Evolution autopilot. For outboard applications, many will elect to use the AR4502RM SeaStar SmartStick rudder reference transducer rather than Raymarine's Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer.
02-19-19, 07:38 PM
Thanks, Ive used the Seastar stick before. If I have issues I will install one.
02-19-19, 08:03 PM
You're welcome.