Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Importing GPX Waypoints
02-25-19, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-19 11:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Importing GPX Waypoints
Hi,

i have a few files that i am trying to import into my axiom 9 with the latest February lighthouse installed. it imported some of the waypoints then gives a failed message. i actually purchased the waypoints from an online site that has the popular gps marks reefs etc and they say that it is formatted for raymarine. i can send you the gpx files if you want to try and load them..

its imported about 1300 of the 3000 or so waypoints.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-19, 11:51 AM
RE: [CA11] Importing GPX Waypoints
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum solidnetworks,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. It is recommended that the problematic GPX files be reviewed/edited with a computer based navigational planning application (recommend GPS Utility) to remove any such constraint violations, and that the resulting data then be saved to a GPX file(s) and imported into the MFD. Should the resulting GPX file(s) fail to import after having addressed all constraint violations, then please attach the modified GPX file(s) to this thread for further analysis.
02-27-19, 06:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-19 09:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck for replying,

can you check the attached file please?

that will help me go back to the company i purchased the GPX file from and ask them to fix it.. supposedly they have an issue with Raymarine and cant get it to import even though they are doing everything right...

Regards
George
02-27-19, 11:50 AM
George,

The supplier of these waypoints needs to go back and revisit the FAQ which I had referenced within my initial response. In a quick check, I found that the submitted GPX file violated at least three of the listed constraints (Max # of wpts: 3000 for LightHouse II software; GPX file contained 3010 waypoints), duplicate waypoint name (at least one identified "CALALLA BAY BOAT"), and special character ("Ð" in waypoint СAULIFLOWER).

To identify these violations, I simply imported the supplied GPX file into GPS Utility, ordered the waypoints alphabetically, saved the waypoints to a .csv file (comma delimited), and then imported the .csv file into Excel where I quickly found the listed items. Please note that this list of constraint violations may not be exhaustive.
02-27-19, 05:10 PM
Thank you Chuck,

i have sent an email to them pointing back at this post, so hopefully it will be rectified.

is there a free software that i can use to do what you did? export the gpx file then view in excel and then convert back to gpx?

that way i can fix the issues.

Thank you again for your help on this forum Chuck.
02-28-19, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-19 09:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
solidnetworks,

You may want to try using GPSBabel to convert the data within the GPX file to a .csv file and then open the .csv file with Excel. I believe that you may find the GPSBabel will also convert data from a .csv file to a GPX file.