Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Es78 install
02-27-19, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-19 01:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Es78 install
I'm currently installing an es78 MFD and I see that I can wire it directly to the battery air to a power distribution block. It says to use an 8AWG wire at the distribution block if I go that route. My question is, will a 10AWG be fine if I go that route, or instead of the power wire going directly to the battery, can I run it to the battery switch?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-19, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-19 01:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Es78 install
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jbrownlee28,

The gauge of wire to be used for extending the products power leads is not dependent upon whether the product will be interfaced directly to the battery, to a battery switch, or to a breaker/fuse panel. The gauge of wire to be used is determined by the current load of the product and the round trip length to the power source (breaker, switch, or battery). Please click here to view a West Marine Advisor article addressing this subject. Current load is determined by power consumption of the product (Watts) divided by the voltage of the power distribution system (12V).
02-27-19, 07:29 PM
Where can I find the current load of the MFD?
02-28-19, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-19 09:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jbrownlee28,

Within my initial respond I provided the information for calculating current (Power = Current x Voltage; Current = Power / Voltage (of circuit supplying power to the MFD)). MFD power consumption is listed within the Specifications section of the eS-Series MFD's Installation Instructions.
02-28-19, 07:35 PM
Pretty sure I got it figured out. Thank you for the help.
03-01-19, 10:01 AM
Exclamation RE: [CA11] Es78 install
You're welcome.