Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST7001+ Control Head and Type 100 autopilot
02-27-19, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-19 12:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ST7001+ Control Head and Type 100 autopilot
I am trying to figure out why I am getting a NO PILOT and SEATALK FAILURE message in testing a system. The PO had the system working when he took it off the boat. I have checked and double checked the seatalk cable, it is good. I can hear the relay click when power is switched on and the ST7001 gives me the error messages. Voltage is good, 12.6 or more. I even took both units apart hoping to find a broken connection or a bit of corrosion, nope, nothing obvious and I even put an ohm meter on a few of the circuit board ribbons that I though looked different. . So, is there a way to check to see if seatalk is being sent out from the computer? I would like to be able to find at least if it is the computer or the control head. I am trying to find another boat I can test the control head on to see if it is good.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-19, 01:38 PM
RE: [CA11] ST7001+ Control Head and Type 100 autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum PHINNROS,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The reported problem may be rooted in the autopilot control head, and/or the autopilot course computer, and/or one of the other system's devices having a SeaTalk communications interface. I would recommend connected the autopilot control head to power alone and seeing if it reports a SeaTalk Failure. If so, then it would need to be replaced with a second hand ST600x or ST700x autopilot control head. If not, then the autopilot course computer and autopilot control head alone would be interfaced to one another. If the error message returns, then the autopilot course computer would need to be replaced with a second hand Type 100, S2, S2G, or SPX-10 autopilot course computer, as Raymarine can no longer service Type 100 autopilot course computer. Care should be exercised if considering the purchase of second hand autopilot components as Raymarine can no longer service Type 100/300 autopilot course computer, S2/S2G autopilot course computers, and ST600x/ST700x autopilot control heads. Alternatively, you may want to consider replacing the autopilot with a T70156 Evolution EV-200 Sail autopilot.
03-01-19, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-19 10:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I ran the test and all I get is No Pilot. There was not a SeaTalk Error. Tested the ST7001+ control head on another boat and it works fine.

I have an option to buy a S3G and a S2G. Both are about the same price. I am running a type one rotary drive. Would one be preferable over the other?
03-04-19, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-19 11:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
PHINNROS,

The ST7001+ and Type 1 Rotary Drive may each be used with the following autopilot course computers:
- S2/S2G
- S3/S3G
- SPX-10
- SPX-30

The S3/S3G and SPX-30 feature higher capacity and have the potential for greater life when used with mechanical drives.
03-04-19, 12:30 PM
Thank You Chuck. I ended up getting the S2G as the S3G was really a 400, making it older model. Just waiting for it to work its way through the mail. I will update once I have it in place.
03-04-19, 01:12 PM
You're welcome.