Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11) Interfacing AIS350 with Axiom 9
03-01-19, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-19 02:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11) Interfacing AIS350 with Axiom 9
How do I connect the AIS350 (receive only) to the Axiom 9? I have the PWR/Data cable attached to the AIS350 input (other end of the cable is 12 colored wires - NMEA 0183).

I'm assuming I don't need to connect the STng cable (Seatalk) to the Axiom?

I am using the Shakespeare AS-2 splitter for the VHF/AIS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-19, 02:39 PM
RE: [CA11) Interfacing AIS350 with Axiom 9
Unlike the more feature laden Axiom Pro and Axiom XL MFDs, Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Accordingly, it would be recommended that these products be interfaced to one another via their respective SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interfaces. In short, a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone must be installed onboard and the AIS350 and Axiom MFD would then each be interfaced as spurs to this backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone may be constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.
03-01-19, 03:48 PM
Ok. This is a bit confusing.
I have the SeaTalk power cable connected to power (the cable that runs from the Axiom Power NMEA/2000 plug to the power bus). All I want to do is connect the AIS350 into the system (into the Axiom). Are you saying I have to convert my system over to the SeaTalk/NMEA 200 components now just to make that connection? (I have the STng cable that goes into the AIS350 STng plug).
Fyi, the only components I need connected to the Axiom is a transducer and AIS350.
03-01-19, 03:59 PM
Gary,

Please refer to the components specified within the link previously provided for how to construct a simple backbone. A SeaTalkng Spur Cable (black w/white stripe; white plugs on each end) will be used to connected the AIS350 to a spur socket within the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector listed within the previously referenced FAQ. As the MFD's NMEA 2000 plug features a DeviceNet Micro-C (M) plug rather than a SeaTalkng Spur plug, any one of the following options may be used to interface the MFD's NMEA 2000 Plug to a spur socket within the aforementioned SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.