Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[CA] [CA11] No wind speed
03-04-19, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-19 02:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] No wind speed
We have a very simple network which worked sufficiently for just under three years. One I-70, one chartplotter, one depth transducer Airmar, one wind vane/ananometer EE22078, on a backbone 5 way connector "hub".

When we returned to our boat the windspeed wasn't displaying, it just read 0.0. The wind direction was good. I contacted tech support and performed the troubleshooting for voltages and it seemed the ITC-5 was the issue so we replaced that. After a few factory resets during calls to Raymarine the windspeed started working again.

Two months later it began to fail intermittently again and the reset no longer fixed it. Three weeks ago while offshore it failed and has not worked since. The wind direction has also been unreliable, in that, it can be up to 90 degrees off and requires more frequent adjustment. I have had five local techs on the boat in Marathon FL. We have tried just replacing the masthead unit. Then replacing just the cable, then both, multiple recalibration, unplugging everything on the backbone individually....removing all power from the backbone and cleaning all the contacts and still no wind .....everyone seems to be at a loss.....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-19, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] No wind speed
Today, as we were leaving the marina....we began getting windspeed again???? Any chance unplugging everything and the power for a few hours cleaned up any spurious data causing the issue ?
03-05-19, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 02:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
SVkittyhawk,

When the masthead cable was replaced, was the masthead and the entire length of cable from the masthead to the iTC-5 replaced ... or was the able led to a terminal strip / junction box which in turn was lead to the iTC-5? Can the problem be produced when the vessel is connected to shore power, its batteries permitted to attain a fully charged state, and then tested while the vessel is still connected to shore power? If so, and the masthead was replaced, and the entire length of cable from the masthead to the iTC-5 replaced, and the masthead wind transducer continues to pass the masthead wind transducer tests, then our instrument repair technician is again recommending replacement of the iTC-5.
03-05-19, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 11:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The entire length was replaced all the way to the ITC-5. I had to call one of the tech to confirm this but We did try the shore power/battery power angle also....that didn't seem to change anything.....
03-05-19, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 02:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
SVkittyhawk,

As indicated within my last response, should the masthead have been replaced, and the entire length of cable from the masthead to the iTC-5 have been replaced, and the masthead wind transducer continues to pass the masthead wind transducer tests, then our instrument repair technician is again recommending replacement of the iTC-5.
03-05-19, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-19 10:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Well....since this ITC-5 is less than three months old and we have a trip to Cuba planned 3/20 which is tightly scheduled and monitored by the USCG I don't have the time to wait for a brand new piece of equipment to be tested and returned.....we may just have to go without wind speed data.....unless Raymarine wants to send me a new one that has already been tested to use on the trip ? And I can send this one back until we return .....

any thoughts on why it started to unexpectedly work yesterday ? Any reports of the "unplugging everything" and starting over method working ?
03-06-19, 10:08 AM
SVkittyhawk,

Q1. Unless Raymarine wants to send me a new one that has already been tested to use on the trip ? And I can send this one back until we return.
A1. I would recommended that Raymarine's Warranty Dept. be contacted regarding this request as I and make no such authorizations.

Q2. any thoughts on why it started to unexpectedly work yesterday ?
A2. one possible cause for such intermittent performance would be fractured solder joints for one or more of the wind transducer pins. Temperature changes can cause any such fractures widen to the point where poor or open circuit for that transducer pin of the iTC-5.
03-10-19, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-19 08:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q2 - A2----- so it's the ITC-5 and the transducer ? Starting to sound like a full replacement operation
03-11-19, 08:15 AM
SVkittyhawk,

Should the wind transducer continue to pass the tests specified within the Masthead Wind Transducer Test, then it would only be recommended that the iTC-5 alone be replaced.
03-11-19, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-19 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok thanks....I'll double check the voltages......our ITC-5 is connected to the hub via a blue striped backbone cable, shouldn't that be a white stripe spur cable ? That might be a mistake by the initial installer