Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Installing Navionics Platinum+ to G-Series MFD
03-08-19, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-19 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Installing Navionics Platinum+ to G-Series MFD
We have 2009 vintage dual G-series MFDs that came loaded with Navionics Platinum onto the hard drives. There were no cards for either unit and it has not been updated since new. I recently updated the firmware to the latest version in both MFD's with no issues. I have ordered separate Navionics Platinum+ for Vancouver B.C. & California/Oregon on CF cards.

Are there anything special we need to do to install this map software into both units? Cheers, Kevin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-19, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-19 09:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Installing Navionics Platinum+ to G-Series MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Kevin,

The Navionics cartography will not be installed/imported into the GPM400's memory.
Like Raymarine MFDs, the GPM400's software is designed to access cartography from a chart card which is present within its memory card reader. Should the cartography stored on the chart card be more current for an area than the cartography stored in the GPM's memory, then the cartography from the chart card will be displayed by the system when viewing cartography for the same area. When operating outside of the geographic are supported by the chart card, then the system will utilize the cartography which has been stored within the GPM400's memory. Should the system feature more than one GPM400, then it would be possible to insert one of the chart cards into one of the GPM400s and the other chart card into the other CPM400. Cartography is shared between the system's GPM400s.
03-12-19, 12:12 PM
Chuck, Installed the new Navionics CF cards per your instructions and everything works perfectly! Thanks again for your help. Cheers, Kevin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-19-19, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-19 02:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, We used the boat this weekend for the first time with the new firmware and Navionics map upgrades. It all works well except we could not make the "track" function work. It shows that it is turned on, but no track follows our boat icon. I tried cancelling and starting a new track but it still did not work. Any suggestions on what we are not doing correctly? Thanks in advance, Kevin
03-19-19, 02:38 PM
Kevin,

G-Series GPM400s have limited track memory ... see here. You may want to try deleting unneeded tracks. Short of that I could only recommend that you consider backing up the system data and then perform a System Settings and Data Reset to restore the feature. The latter action should only be undertaken if you have an excellent command of how to configure the system. Support for G-Series is now very, very limited.
03-19-19, 06:04 PM
Chuck, There are no waypoints or tracks in memory. I performed a data reset on the system after I installed the new firmware but before I installed the new Navionics Platinum+. So maybe the tracks feature is not compatible with the new Navionics. Bummer... I know this system is "long in the tooth" but it all works well except for this feature. thanks for your help.
03-20-19, 07:44 AM
Kevin,

I doubt that the problem is an incompatibility between the tracks feature and Navionics cartography ... this would be the first time that I have ever heard of this issue being reported in conjunction with the GPM400 or any other MFD for that matter. I suspect that the problem is most likely due to a problem within the settings. I would recommend once again performing a System Settings and Data Reset operation to address the reported condition.
03-20-19, 12:08 PM
Chuck, Thanks for the additional info, good to know you think it is the hardware, not the map software. I will perform another data reset this weekend when back at the boat. Cheers, Kevin
03-20-19, 12:35 PM
You're welcome.
04-01-19, 02:02 PM
I backed up my data, performed a data reset and now the tracks are showing up after I downloaded my data back to the GPM. Cheers!