Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] SeaTalk Converter vs Connector
03-08-19, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-19 05:15 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] SeaTalk Converter vs Connector
I've searched, but not found exactly what I'm asking here. I have an existing Autohelm ST5000+ that is not currently networked to anything. I'm adding two E120 Classic MFDs, as well as the 10kw open array radar. I want the Autohelm to interface with the E120's. I've read all about needing a properly powered and terminated Seatalk-NG backbone. My question lies in my options for components to accomplish this.

After searching, it seems I have two options...

1) A Raymarine SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk-NG Converter Kit (E22158) [which has two blue, two white, and one yellow ports], plus a Raymarine E Series to SeaTalk-NG Adaptor (A06061);

OR

2) A Raymarine SeaTalk-NG Starter Kit (T70134) [which has two blue and three white ports], plus a Raymarine Adaptor Cable SeaTalk1 to SeaTalk-NG (A06047), plus the Raymarine E Series to SeaTalk-NG Adaptor (A06061) from above;

Option #1 has a 5-port Converter with one yellow port. Option #2 has a 5-port connector with no yellow port. Are these both viable solutions? Is one preferred over the other?

Thanks very much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-19, 06:24 AM
RE: [LW11] SeaTalk Converter vs Connector
Dear Tizor,

Thank you for your query.

The ST5000+ autopilot and the E-Series classic can both be networked together over seatalk 1. Neither of these products have STng as they were manufactured before STng was introduced.

The seatalk 1 connection on the E-Classic can be found on the seatalk/ alarm out cable.

What other products do you have installed in the system? The E-Series Widescreen had STng connectivity on the back of the unit, the E-Series classic did not. Unless you have STng products or intend to start introducing STng products to your installation there is no requirement for an STng backbone when networking the ST5000+ and the E-Series classic on ST1.

Many Thanks
Louise
03-11-19, 10:00 AM
Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. I assume that I can still buy a connector cable (SeaTalk1 flat blade to Seatalk1 5-pin) for that solution? The components I described are about the extent of my network for now. I will be purchasing a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHS soon, and will try and feed the AIS receiver data out of it to the E120, and that is NMEA 0183. I also plan on upgrading to an Evolution AP within the next year. Will upgrade the network to accommodate, but your direction will keep it simple for now.
03-12-19, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-19 07:34 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dear Tizor,

Thank you for the response. There is no seatalk 1 to seatalk 1 5 pin connector cable.

The is a cable that would of originally come with the E-Classic that plugs directly into the back called the seatalk 1/ alarm port. The part number for the cable is R08050, we no longer sell this but you may be able to purchase this online. One end of the cable has a moulded plug, the other end has bare wires for connecting to an alarm and in to a seatalk 1 network. This is how you will connect the E-classic to the seatalk network not via the seatalk 2 port.

Please have a look through the manual for the E-Classic, all of them are available here.

You can also find more information on the convertor here in our FAQ section.

Many Thanks
Louise
07-20-19, 11:57 AM
Can I tag on to this with a similar enquiry.
I have a faulty ST6000 autopilot (buttons activate spontaneously) and wish to replace with an ST6000+ with the later flat connectors that I already have. All my other instruments (all Raymarine similar era) still work well together with a second ST6000 at my interior steering position.
Can I make the swap (ST6000 to ST6000+) just by obtaining the Raymarine Seatalk converter? Would I need to do anything else (more cables, software updates) or does the converter kit do it all?

DJ
07-24-19, 06:20 AM
Hi DIJ,

Thankyou for your enquiry,

the simplest method for connection is to remove the round 3 pin SeaTalk plug from the SeaTalk cables, crimp on 1/8" female spade connectors and plug them straight in - colour for colour to the SeaTalk connections on the rear of the ST6002 control unit.

regards
Derek
07-24-19, 05:14 PM
Simple - thanks for the advice.

DJ
07-26-19, 06:37 AM
You are welcome.
07-30-19, 07:50 PM
So some time has gone by since I first posted this question. It's a year later and I've just now gotten down to my installation. As a refresher, I am networking the following equipment:

2 x E120 Classic mfd's
Raystar 125
Autohelm ST5000+ AP
DSM300
Pathfinder 10kw open array

I have everything hooked up now except the radar array, and it is all working as expected with one exception. My initial question was how to interface the ST5000+ with the E120's. After considering the advice here, I opted to interface them by utilizing a ST1 to STng converter. I did this as my next upgrade will likely be a Raystar 150 GPS antenna (native STng) to replace the old Raystar 125 (NMEA 0183 or ST1), and I liked the idea of having the STng components in place for that and any other upgradability.

My mfd's are not recognizing the ST5000+. I connected the ST5000+ to the yellow port of the converter with the supplied ST1 cable as directed. I connected the converter to the mfd running an STng to E Series cable from one of the white STng ports of the convereter to the ST2 port on the E120 Classic Data Master. The STng converter is not separately powered, as it is getting it's power from the interfaced ST5000+, as directed in the installation manual. I terminated both blue ports of the converter with the supplied terminator plugs.

The mfd has the latest software v5.69 I think it is. I've checked and re-checked the quality of all connections. Transducer Status icon shows No Pilot ("X" through it). It senses no ST devices and no STng devices. I have no AP track control option when I choose Go To...

The AP itself works fine, and is clearly sending heading data to the E120. So, I'm confused why it is not fully recognized and providing AP control functions? Wasn't sure if the ST5000+ needed independent position data, so I did connect the Raystar 125 to the ST5000+ via the NMEA 0183 inputs - but no luck there either. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
08-01-19, 09:11 AM
Dear Tizor,

Thank you for your post.

The seatalk 2 on the E Classic is a very early version of NMEA2000. It will send your waypoint and route data but will not have the capabilities of converting autopilot control data - this is what you are seeing.

For the autopilot control, you will need to connect the ST5000 to the ST1 network, your autopilot icon should also become active in the top right hand corner of the E-Classic.

Many Thanks
Louise