Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] eS series to Axiom Connection
03-11-19, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-19 08:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] eS series to Axiom Connection
I currently have an eS127 running LH3 with the latest updates - Currently connected to my eS unit are the following - EV-1 Heading Sensor, RMK-9 and I'm using the NMEA output to my VHF. I just ordered a Quantum radar that I plan on connecting via WiFI to my eS127. (Should be here Thursday)

Couple of Questions please -

I intend to eventually order an Axiom with RV (either 7 or 9) and plan to hook it to my eS127 via my remaining available network port (one port is currently being used by the RMK-9), if I set the Axiom to master will it impact the eS127 NMEA outputs or any other any other devices I have connected to the eS unit?

Also, once installed should I connect the Quantum via Wifi to the Axiom or leave it connected to the eS127?

Thanks

Jack - MS Gulf Coast
Current Ray Equipment - Axiom 7 RV serving as DM and networked to a eS127 -
Quantum Radar via WiFi to eS127, RMK-9 networked to eS127, EV-1 Sensor Core, RV-100 and B60 transducers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-19, 08:28 AM
RE: [CA11] eS series to Axiom Connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum MSjack,

Q1. I intend to eventually order an Axiom with RV (either 7 or 9) and plan to hook it to my eS127 via my remaining available network port (one port is currently being used by the RMK-9). If I set the Axiom to master will it impact the eS127 NMEA outputs or any other any other devices I have connected to the eS unit?
A1. Please note that within an Ethernet network of MFD, the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 port will only be active on the MFD which has been designated as the system's Data Master MFD. Accordingly, the MFD which one intends to function as the system's Data Master MFD must be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The WiFi and NMEA 0183 ports of these MFDs are active on each of the system's MFDs.

Q2. Once installed should I connect the Quantum via Wifi to the Axiom or leave it connected to the eS127?
A2. It would generally be recommended that the MFD have the greatest sensed WiFi signal strength at the location of the Quantum radome would be used to pair with the Quantum radome. The MFD which has been paired with the Quantum radome must be powered ON when the system's other MFD(s) will be using radar features. Alternatively, another MFD within the system having sufficient sensed WiFi signal strength at the location of the Quantum radome may then be paired with the Quantum radome. Only one MFD at any time may be paired with a Quantum / Quantum 2 radome.
03-12-19, 03:04 PM
Thanks Chuck.

So would there be any benefit of having the newer axiom with the faster processor set as the data master?

And, am I correct in that I can use my one remaining Ethernet port on my es127 to network to the new axiom? The other Ethernet port on my es127 is currently connected to my rmk.

Thanks again.

Jack - MS Gulf Coast
Quantum Radar via WiFi to eS127, RMK-9 networked to eS127, EV-1 Sensor Core, RV-100 and B60 transducers.
03-12-19, 03:34 PM
MSjack,

Q1. So would there be any benefit of having the newer axiom with the faster processor set as the data master?
A1. Yes. Within a system of Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs, when the system additionally features an eS/gS-Series MFD, it is recommended that an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD to ensure maximum system performance (responsiveness).

Q2. I correct in that I can use my one remaining Ethernet port on my es127 to network to the new axiom?
A2. Yes.
03-12-19, 10:19 PM
Thanks again Chuck - so just to make sure I have this right:

Your answer was -
A1. Please note that within an Ethernet network of MFD, the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 port will only be active on the MFD which has been designated as the system's Data Master MFD. Accordingly, the MFD which one intends to function as the system's Data Master MFD must be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The WiFi and NMEA 0183 ports of these MFDs are active on each of the system's MFDs.

New Q1 - So... I will set the Axiom unit to the data master and basically disconnect the existing NMEA 2000 spur cable from my eS unit and route it to the new Axiom? (I will be mounting them side by side so that will be easy)

New Q2 - At this point the eS unit that is networked via Ethernet to the master Axiom will not have any NMEA 2000 connection but my NMEA 0183 output from my eS unit to VHF will still function?

Just trying to make sure I have this correct.

Jack - MS Gulf Coast
03-13-19, 07:55 AM
MSjack,

Q1 - I will set the Axiom unit to the data master and basically disconnect the existing NMEA 2000 spur cable from my eS unit and route it to the new Axiom? (I will be mounting them side by side so that will be easy)
A1 - Yes. As the Axiom MFD's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 dongle is terminate with a DeviceNet (M) plug, an A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter will be required.

Q2 - At this point the eS unit that is networked via Ethernet to the master Axiom will not have any NMEA 2000 connection but my NMEA 0183 output from my eS unit to VHF will still function?
A2 - Yes.