Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Transducer Options for Stepped Hull
03-26-19, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-19 03:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Transducer Options for Stepped Hull
I just installed two Axiom Pro RVX (for C and E120Ws) [ Bravo for whoever engineered the install plates for retrofitting for Axioms Pro!!! ]

I left the old P66 transom transducer on until budget will allow for an appropriate transducer and installed with an adapter. (No speed and no temp from the old 'ducer before or after the upgrade).

My boat has a stepped hull and I don't know if a through hull transducer will be back far enough before the first step to be in clean water when running. If not, I might as well stay with a 1kw chirp transom mount. Don't expect it to hold bottom when running, but if the through hull won't either - there's no point of drilling a [censored].

I see a mention for "The RV-100 can also be mounted onto stepped hull vessels using the optional stainless steel step-mounting bracket (sold separately)" Is this available yet and if so number?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-19, 03:25 PM
RE: [CA11] Transducer Options for Stepped Hull
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum C William,

Q1. My boat has a stepped hull and I don't know if a through hull transducer will be back far enough before the first step to be in clean water when running. If not, I might as well stay with a 1kw chirp transom mount. Don't expect it to hold bottom when running, but if the through hull won't either - there's no point of drilling a [censored].
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The RealVision, SideVision, and DownVision features of the associated transducers are dependent not only on a non-aerated flow of water across the face of the transducer(s), but also upon operating the boat at trolling speeds. For this reason, a transom mounted RV transducer may be satisfactory for most outboard and I/O powered vessels. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, any transducer which is expected to track bottom while the boat is on plane must have a non-aerated flow of water across the face of the transducer. We would typically recommend that a 50kHz/200kHz transducer or 1kW CHIRP transducer be installed forward of the first step ... assuming that the first step will be in the water when on plane. All hulls are different with respect to how much of the hull is in the water while on plane and it may not be possible to locate a suitable location for such a transducer when operating a high speeds.

Q2. I see a mention for "The RV-100 can also be mounted onto stepped hull vessels using the optional stainless steel step-mounting bracket (sold separately)" Is this available yet and if so number?
A2. The RV-100 mount referenced would typically be applied to bass boats and other such hull designed having a step located slightly forward of the outboard/transom. The A80479 Step Mount for RV-100 RealVision 3D transom Mount Transducer is available and may be used for such applications and will only support tracking bottom when the vessel is operating a trolling speeds. It is not applicable to steps which are well forward such as those which are shown within the referenced FAQ.
03-27-19, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-19 08:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the response. I had read the post mentioned. re: "[censored]" Hope I didn't misspell something as inappropriate ??? If so, unintentional and very sorry.

Thank you again and I really appreciate your team's responsiveness here.
03-27-19, 08:03 AM
You're welcome. The Forum's bad word checker is more than a little conservative and doesn't check for context. I've learned to be able to read through the censoring.