Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] NMEA 183 depth gauge causes A75 MFD to re-cycle
04-02-19, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-19 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] NMEA 183 depth gauge causes A75 MFD to re-cycle
I bought a sailboat (O'Day 322) with NMEA 183 knotmeter, depth gauge, and wind speed/direction instruments, all working fine. I bought a new A75 MFD (Model E70166) using NMEA 2000. Initially, all worked well. But within a month or two, everytime I turned everything on, the MFD would recycle continuously, usually right after it established my current position. When the MFD came back up, it went to the page I was at, not at the initial power up screen (I've learned this is a clue).

As I had powered the new MFD from the 183 system, I was advised on this forum to instead power the new 2000 system, and then the 183 side from that. This change failed to solve the problem. I got through last season with either the A7 up, or my other instruments up, not altogether, not ideal.

A few weeks ago, I corrected some wiring issues the PO had made (horrible connections), to no avail. But I started to take individual 183 components out of the mix. I've now found that if I remove the depth gauge from the 183 circuit, everything works fine.

Would this point to a problem in the depth gauge itself? The transducer? Cabling between the two?

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-19, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-19 09:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] NMEA 183 depth gauge causes A75 MFD to re-cycle
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mickey,

Q1. As I had powered the new MFD from the 183 system, I was advised on this forum to instead power the new 2000 system, and then the 183 side from that.
A1. For clarification, the a6x and a7x MFDs do not have a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Also, MFDs are not designed to be powered via their communications interfaced, including their SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface. Per the FAQ found here addressing marine electronics power circuits, it is recommended that MFD be powered from a power circuit dedicated to the MFD(s).

With regard to any future stability issues with the MFD after addressing the issue with the NMEA 0183 depth sounder, it would be recommended that you verify that the MFD's software be updated with the final software release for the a/c/e-Series MFDs (LightHouse II v19.03). If so and the problem persists, then it would be recommended that a System Settings & Data Reset (HOME=>SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->SYSTEM SETTINGS & DATA RESET) be commanded.

Q2. I've now found that if I remove the depth gauge from the 183 circuit, everything works fine. Would this point to a problem in the depth gauge itself? The transducer? Cabling between the two?
A2. This could indeed point to an issue with the NMEA 0183 device. For troubleshooting recommendation of the NMEA 0183 device, it would be recommended that the manufacturer of that device be contacted for troubleshooting recommendations.
04-03-19, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-19 07:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sorry, poor choice of words. The MFD is powered by it's own power cord. The problem happens when the it's connected to the network with the depth gauge. I have the 2000/183 converter (with the yellow terminal) with which I connect the 2000/0183.

I've downloaded the latest SW and will update the MFD the next trip to the boat.

A second reply, as I missed the answer to question 2. It's a Raymarine ST60. Is there a thread I can find some troubleshooting advice on? Can I send it to Raymarine? Or, should I find an independent service to see if it's worth repairing? It works fine by it's own as I said, and networked with other 0183 devices, just causes problems when networked with my A7 MFD.

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
04-04-19, 08:07 AM
Mickey,

The ST60 Depth instrument does not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. However, it does feature a SeaTalk communications interface. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this how legacy devices having a SeaTalk communications interface would need to be interfaced to an a6x/a7x MFD. Should the ST60 instrument have a fault within its SeaTalk communications circuitry, then it can cause problems with communications on the SeaTalk bus and also potentially affect communications via the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may troubleshoot a SeaTalk failure within a system. Unfortunately, should the fault be found to be rooted within the ST60 Depth instrument, then it would need to be replaced (typically with an i50 Depth or i50 Tridata instrument), as Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service ST60 instruments.
04-04-19, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-19 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. Sorry you had to school me so much on this issue. I'll try and do better next time! I'll check out those FAQ's.

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
04-04-19, 09:10 AM
You're welcome.