Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Potential Upgrade to my E97 MFD and Transducer
04-15-19, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-19 03:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Potential Upgrade to my E97 MFD and Transducer
I see what you mean but since the elements resolution appears to be much better than Garmin I would stop the boat and look sideways and see what it looks like and turn the boat and go straight if I did not see any hazards that way. I would not be trying to look as I turn as I would think it would get blurry -nor would I expect to look good as I turn. Just trying to say that I could use it as a forward scan in a pinch doing it that way.

My main question this post is does the resolution diminish any since I am in pretty mucky water. Its a fresh water lake but the water is not very clear. If there is a rock say 2 feet deep you can see it but seeing 2-3 feet down is about it I would say.

Thanks
Frank
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-19, 03:52 PM
Frank,

In a pinch, using it as such would be plausible. However, please not that SideVision is primarily used to locate and identify structure to the sides of the vessel. Also, the work around would only permit advancing in increments equivalent to the SideVision range. A true forward looking sonar may provide better information how rapidly depth may be increasing if proceeding in a particular direction.
04-15-19, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-19 03:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have been reading reviews on both systems as I try to do my research and have read where the resolution on the Garmin is diminished with the clarity of the water. So my main question is does the resolution diminish any since I am in pretty mucky water. Its a fresh water lake but the water is not very clear. If there is a rock say 2 feet deep you can see it but seeing 2-3 feet down is about it I would say.
Thanks again for all the excellent info.
04-16-19, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-19 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Frank,

Image quality is somewhat dependent upon what type of material is actually suspended within the water column. Organics (weeds and other aquatic life) suspended within the water column will naturally be show up within the imaging. Should the concentration of such organics be dense enough, it is possible that the quality of the bottom imaging may be degraded.
04-18-19, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-19 10:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
What about rocks and rock piles or old stone foundations and sand bars ? Those are my main underwater hazards I would like to see. These are not organics of course. There are many organics such as weeds and trees and tree stumps but I don't think any are very dense. Its just that the water is not that clear. I think the Raymarine system is better since Garmin won't tell you what Mhz its system is and other specs so I believe, as you said previously, the structure detail is better on the ELement but again look at my 1st sentence on the other hazards.

Frank
04-22-19, 10:57 AM
Frank,

Rocks and rock piles or old stone foundations and sand bars would indeed be displayed by the Raymarine product and should be displayed with clarity similar to that shown within Raymarine's advertising when the boat is operated at trolling speeds and constant heading.