Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] SPX5 partially communicating with NMEA 2000 MFD
04-17-19, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-19 03:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] SPX5 partially communicating with NMEA 2000 MFD
Hi,
I have a tried and true SPX5 wheel pilot with ST60 display, ~10 years old.

I have just replaced my old Chartplotter with a new one (Garmin 922).

I have connected the SPX5's Seatalk "ng" port as a spur to a properly terminated NMEA 2000 network.

The MFD recognizes the SPX5 and shows it as a device. However, it is not getting any data from the device (e.g. Heading from the compass), nor is a Goto on the MFD resulting in BTW/DTW/XTE showing up on the ST60 (going through the DISP pages shows just dashes, and trying to engage TRACK results in NO DATA error).

Any hints? The fact that the MFD network shows the SPX5 on the network is encouraging ... 3 other devices on the network are all working fine with comms running both ways.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-19, 03:34 PM
RE: [CA11] SPX5 partially communicating with NMEA 2000 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum p_m_brennan,

The SPX autopilots were not certified for integration with third party NMEA 2000 products. It is typically recommended one of the following be undertaken:
- that the Garmin chartplotting product be disconnected from the NMEA 2000 backbone and that Garmin chartplotting product's NMEA 0183 interface be connected to a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) which in turn has been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the SPX autopilot components have been interfaced.

- that the backbone be divided into two separately powered and terminated backbone ... one of which will network the Raymarine products to one another and the second which will include the Garmin chartplotting product and a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.). The NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input port of the SPX autopilot course computer and to a spur socket within the backbone to which the Garmin chartplotting product has been interfaced.
05-14-19, 12:53 PM
Thanks.

Either of those solutions, or just connecting 183 from Garmin directly to the SPX5 would seem to get me Steer-to-Waypoint functionality.

There is an NMEA 2000 wind sensor in the system. The Garmin won't repeat Wind out its 183 port ... would the recommended 2000/183 converter output wind, and would the SPX5 ACCEPT wind angle over its 183 interface?

PMB
05-14-19, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-19 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
p_m_brennan,

Q. There is an NMEA 2000 wind sensor in the system. The Garmin won't repeat Wind out its 183 port ... would the recommended 2000/183 converter output wind, and would the SPX5 ACCEPT wind angle over its 183 interface?
A. Yes. Given your response, the second option provided within my initial response would be recommended.