Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading to Axioms from C80
04-21-19, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-19 12:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading to Axioms from C80
Chuck,

I'm upgrading to an Axiom 9RV, RD424HD and Axiom 7DV. I plan to keep my existing Auto Pilot and would like to interface everything together. I don't know the model number of the existing GPS antenna, but it is NMEA 183 and presently is tied in through the Smart Pilot. Please take a look at this network diagram and tell me if I need to make any changes.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Attached File(s)
.pdf  NMEA 200 network.pdf (Size: 228 KB / Downloads: 289)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-19, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-19 02:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Upgrading to Axioms from C80
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

Your system diagram incorrectly indicates how the system's autopilot components are to be interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In a nutshell, the autopilot control head should be interfaced to one of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk ports. The other SeaTalk port of the autopilot course computer will be interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's SeaTalk (yellow) socket.

Your system diagram incorrectly indicates that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and a portion of what you have labeled as "NMEA 2000" (i.e. the engine side backbone) may be interfaced to the system's HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing adapting devices having a NMEA 0183, SeaTalk, or SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 to a Raymarine Ethernet (SeaTalkhs / RayNet) network. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, it is the function of the Data Master MFD to bridge data from the marine electronics SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 network to the systems Ethernet network for use by the system's MFDs. Accordingly, the connections to the HS5 RayNet from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and from the engine side NMEA 2000 backbone should be removed. In this case, only the Axiom MFD and the Digital Radar Cable should be connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Essentially, the system will consist of two powered and properly terminated NMEA 2000 backbones ... one will be for the marine electronics (to include the VHF radio and stereo) and the other will be for the engine equipment. The marine electronics backbone will be constructed from SeaTalkng Networking components. These backbones will communicate with one another via a NMEA 2000 engine gateway. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how engine systems may be interfaced to Axiom MFDs. As such, system diagram incorrectly shows that the VHF radio and stereo should be interfaced to your engine side NMEA 2000 backbone. The VHF radio and stereo, along with the system's Data Master MFD, should instead be interfaced to spur sockets within the marine electronics backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how additional spur sockets may be added to a marine electronics backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng Networking components. Finally, please click here to view a FAQ addressing how devices having NMEA 2000 ports which have been terminated with a DeviceNet plug/socket (ex. Data Master Axiom MFD, stereo, DSC VHF radio) may be adapted to be mated to a SeaTalkng spur socket.
05-31-19, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the response!

I'm not sure that I quite follow you on adapting between the NMEA 2000 and the Seatalk. See attached for new sketch...please let me know if this will work.

Thanks,

Mark

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Ray 9 and 7 network copy.pdf (Size: 47.56 KB / Downloads: 214)
06-03-19, 10:01 AM
Mark,

The following corrections/changes are recommended:

Ethernet:
- The diagram correctly shows that the MFDs and radome will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. No T should be shown within the system's Ethernet cables.

SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000:
- The diagram appears to have incorrectly indicated how the backbone featuring the stereo and VHF radio will be interfaced to the marine electronics backbone to which the MFD has been interfaced. The spur cable shown to connect these backbones to one another should be deleted accordingly. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how two SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbones may be interfaced to one another.

- The diagram appears to have incorrectly indicated that a T will be inserted into the Axiom 7 DV MFD's Ethernet cable. This is not so. The MFD's NMEA 2000 interface will be connected to a spur socket within the marine electronics NMEA 2000 backbone.