Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] e7D
04-25-19, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-19 10:36 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] e7D
My e7D MFD is about 6 years old. This week, the GPS is apparently not getting or recognizing a signal -- no GPS numbers and chartplotter is simply stationary; will not open waypoints, follow track, etc.; no navigation function. The fish finder has no problem.

Where should a technologically inept owner start?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-19, 10:41 AM
RE: [DG11] e7D
Hi jdl1948

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are using the internal GPS, please carry out an update to the current software version, please refer here for further instructions.

If you are using an external GPS antenna, please refer here for further information.
Kind regards
Derek
05-07-19, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-19 07:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tried it. Downloaded the software updates and finally was able to install it today. Totally new display icons and appearance. Fishfinder seems to be working good, although I need more time to configure the new system. BUT still nothing with the GPS; no positioning at all. Cannot tell where the boat is on the chart, no navigation possible, chart does not move at all.
Any further suggestions or am I needing a new unit? My guess would be that a repair may cost above value for this unit, but I would consider it if reasonable.
05-08-19, 08:01 AM
Hi jdl1948

If you access the GPS set up page in the e7 you should be able to see some satellites or check if the internal GPS is turned on and is trying to locate satellites or not. If there are no signs of satellites, then the internal GPS is likely failed and you can either return the unit to the local service workshop - they will quote you a cost, or fit an external GPS antenna and connect it via NMEA2000 or NMEA0183.

Thanks
Derek
05-23-19, 07:59 PM
(05-08-19 08:01 AM)Derek - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hi jdl1948

If you access the GPS set up page in the e7 you should be able to see some satellites or check if the internal GPS is turned on and is trying to locate satellites or not. If there are no signs of satellites, then the internal GPS is likely failed and you can either return the unit to the local service workshop - they will quote you a cost, or fit an external GPS antenna and connect it via NMEA2000 or NMEA0183.

Thanks
Derek

Finally got back on the water today. No satellites show in the set-up mode, no navigation capability. I guess the next step is to contact a local repair shop, decide on repair or replace. Thanks for your assistance.
05-24-19, 03:57 AM
Dear jdl1948,

You can find your local dealer here.

Many Thanks
Louise
05-31-19, 08:14 AM
(05-24-19 03:57 AM)Louise - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Dear jdl1948,

You can find your local dealer here.

Many Thanks
Louise

One last question: I visited one of the dealers you provided above and was shown the external antenna that matches with my e7/e7D. She also provided me a copy of your Technical Updated TU 0711 from April 1, 2019 explaining what the problem may be. Before I purchase the antenna and mounting accessories, is there anything I can do to make sure my problems are related to the GPS rollover and are not the result of a failure of the GPS unit itself? The timing of my problem and the GPS rollover makes it seem that the problem may be with the satellite system and not my unit, but I'd hate to spend several hundred dollars unnecessarily.

Thanks again.
06-03-19, 08:00 AM
Dear jdl1948,

You have the e7D, this is a fairly recent unit and will not be affected by the GPS rollover. Any issues will be due to a fault and not the age of the unit.

Many Thanks
Louise
06-03-19, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I, obviously, really hate to hear that. What would be the approximate cost and time if I return the unit for an out-of-warranty repair?
06-04-19, 05:16 AM
Hi jdl1948
Thankyou for your enquiry,

If the unit is returned to the Service Workshop in the UK, the standard fixed rate repair cost is UK£280.00 + vat, the turnaround is 15 workking days from receipt.

Regards

Derek