Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Integrating a 250 AIS
04-26-19, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-19 12:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Integrating a 250 AIS
Hi, I've been given a Raymarine 250 AIS unit... Which I'd like to add to my Raymarine system...

I notice that it connects via nema... I have a A50D Classic and a 230E VHF and also a Smart Heading system... I presume it would be best connected to the A50D or to the VHF?

Any suggestions inc wiring would be most helpful

Regards

Tim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-19, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-19 10:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Integrating a 250 AIS
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

Per the FAQ found here, AIS receivers or AIS transceivers must be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 port (See the wiring chart below).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2924]

The NMEA 0183 output terminals of the SHS may be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port #2 Input leads.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-24-19, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-19 10:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck... I've now fitted my AIS 250 unit... But I'm struggling a bit... I don't seem to be getting any data from either the AIS or the SHS....(Via Nmea anyway)

Some questions if I may... The AIS is wired as per your Diagram... It's powering up and I'm getting an occasional red flash on the unit but no TX light.... (I currently have my VHF antenna down). But would expect the unit to communicate something... I've checked the Nmea 1 data stream on the A50D... but its showing no received data....

The SHS unit is transmitting the compass data on the sea talk... However the current wiring (Connected to the 2nd Nema port on the A50D) only has the Green and white wires connected on the SHS... Do I need to connect the yellow and Brown???

I was going to connect the 230E VHF to the AIS unit (As specified in the wiring diagram)... I have 4 wires, However two of the wires are labelled hailer + and -... I presume the other two (black and white from memory) are connected to the 2nd nmea? and if so where??

Any suggestions most welcome

Regards

Tim
11-25-19, 10:30 AM
Tim,

Q1. I don't seem to be getting any data from either the AIS or the SHS....(Via Nmea anyway).
A1. Please refer to FAQ referenced within my initial response addressing how to troubleshoot the lack of AIS communications. As indicated therein, incorrectly configuring the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 setting may be responsible for the reported issue. Please additionally note that the long retired AIS250 may not have featured a heartbeat message as did later AIS receiver/transceiver designs. Should you have verified the wiring, and NMEA 0183 Port 1 setting and the MFD, and the suggested wraparound test indicate that the MFD's NMEA 0183 port is operational, then it would appear that the AIS250's multiplexer may have suffered a failure.

Q2. The SHS unit is transmitting the compass data on the sea talk... However the current wiring (Connected to the 2nd Nema port on the A50D) only has the Green and white wires connected on the SHS... Do I need to connect the yellow and Brown?
A2. My original instructions called for the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 leads (both input and output) to be interfaced 38400 BAUD terminal of the AIS250. Accordingly, the NMEA 0183 output of the SHS should not be interfaced to the white and green leads of the MFD. Instead the NMEA 0183 output terminals of the SHS may either be interfaced to the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input terminals of the AIS250 or to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 Input leads (Orange/White, Orange/Green). If select to use the latter, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 setting will need to be configured to AIS 38400.

Q3. I was going to connect the 230E VHF to the AIS unit (As specified in the wiring diagram)... I have 4 wires, However two of the wires are labelled hailer + and -... I presume the other two (black and white from memory) are connected to the 2nd nmea? and if so where??
A3. While the Ray230E will accept GPS data in support of DSC operation, it features no NMEA 0183 output leads. Accordingly, should you be seeking an additional 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input to the MFD, then the AIS250's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 IN terminals may be used to connect the NMEA 0183 output of the SHS.
11-26-19, 02:34 AM
Thanks Chuck.... I have set the nmea1 and 2 baud rates to 38400 (no difference) I will endeavour to do the wraparound test this weekend and check the A50D is working correctly

I think there's been a small mis-understanding ref the SHS... I have connected to the MFD's second nmea connection, But on the SHS unit itself only the white or green wires are connected... Do the yellow and brown wires need adding?

Regards

Tim
11-26-19, 09:11 AM
Tim,

Q. But on the SHS unit itself only the white or green wires are connected... Do the yellow and brown wires need adding?
A. Please note that my instructions called for the MFD's Port 1 leads (white, green, yellow, and brown) to be interfaced to the AIS250's 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 terminals. This Port must then be configured to AIS 38400. Please not that the SHS does not feature leads, but instead features terminals. The MFD's Port 2 leads (white/orange and green/orange) must be connected to the SHS's NMEA 0183 Input terminals. The MFD's Port 2 must then be configured to NMEA 4800 to match the BAUD rate to the SHS's NMEA 0183 communications interface.
11-30-19, 12:34 PM
Ok... So started with testing the A50D using the wraparound test... Both Nmea 0183 channels seemed to functioning correctly.... Seeing both RX & TX messages... Checked the wiring at the termination ends by doing the same test... all ok...
The 250 AIS unit seems to be faulty... I presume this unit is not longer repairable? or not cost effective to repair...

I will post on another thread the questions I've got with the SHS...

Regards

Tim
11-30-19, 02:46 PM
Tim,

Unfortunately, parts and service for this legacy AIS receiver are no longer available.