Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] es128/i70 display/st60plus wind and speed displays
02-11-19, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-19 04:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Question [TG11] es128/i70 display/st60plus wind and speed displays
Issues

1. Cannot calibrate st60 plus wind speed to match correct wind speed. Correction set to min 0.75 where manual says 0.7. I am close but still wind indicator reads high.

2. Wind direction is calibrated correctly on ST60 plus but es128 shows wind direction at least 45 degrees offset?

3. ST60 plus speed log display has a brown square on inside of the glass of the display. About 1.5 inches square. Is this heat damage? Do I need to replace? If replace - what with ?

4. Both es128 and i70 mfds cannot be set to nautical miles or nm-m. Defaults to statute miles. Consider this dangerous for cruising?

5. I have kept the old seatalk autopilot and st60 plus instruments as have works well. With the issues I am having now I am wondering what I can do at reasonable cost. Don't replace what is not broken? Would an itc-5 for analog instrument transducers help? Would the old st60 plus displays work with the seatalk 1 and seatalkng interface. The new autopilot interface and rotary positioner for the es128 is not cheap to buy.

While wind direction and speed are not critical to cruising it would be nice to work out whats wrong.

Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-19, 07:41 PM
RE: [TG11] es128/i70 display/st60plus wind and speed displays
Hello jjlarogers,

Quote:wind indicator reads high.
How high does it read? Are you looking at True or Apparent wind? Under-reading is not too uncommon, but over-reading when looking at Apparent wind is, in my experience, most likely to be an interference signal on the masthead windvane cable. Not in itself a very common thing, but more below. The minimum cal factor value available in the display does vary with software version (0.7 or 0.75), but the lowest available in that software is the right value to use for a current-generation windvane.

Quote:Wind direction is calibrated correctly on ST60 plus but es128 shows wind direction at least 45 degrees offset?
Assuming you're looking at the same data item on each (True or Apparent), this will almost certainly be an offset in the pointer calibration on the ST60. This isn't the wind-angle alignment that's a standard part of post-installation setup, instead I am talking about the low-level setup which tells the instrument where to drive the motor in order to indicate a particular wind angle. If this is incorrect (and this happened quite often on ST60 and ST60+ analogue displays) then you'd have a discrepancy between the analogue display and another indicator, because the repeater is reading the digital value which the analogue instrument 'thinks' the pointer is pointing at. If the pointer alignment is out, this will also cause errors in calculation of True wind, which could relate to your first point.

There's a re-calibration for this in the display's service Self Test process, which isn't documented in the owner's manual (not a normal part of setup) but is in the attached. This is for ST60 but the ST60+ is the same process. You need to skip past Self Test stages 1 and 2 to get to Self Test 3, which is the pointer cal.

Quote:ST60 plus speed log display has a brown square on inside of the glass of the display
Yes, this does sound like long-term UV damage. We don't have spare PCB/LCD assemblies any longer, so the replacement is i60. You can connect i60 to Seatalk1, the simplest way to do so is via a Seatalk1 3-way junction block (part D244) and an A06073 1m Seatalk1 adaptor cable.

Quote:Both es128 and i70 mfds cannot be set to nautical miles or nm-m. Defaults to statute miles
The unit setup sounds like it's being over-ridden from outside, something on the SeatalkNG network. This is definitely not a generic software issue on these two products. If you would like to record some of the NMEA2000 data at a time when this problem is apparent (see http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=1890 for info on how to record) and post it back here, I'll have a look and see what device is transmitting the unit selection and overriding your choice.

Regards,
Tom

Attached File(s)
.pdf  ST60_Wind_selftest.pdf (Size: 38 KB / Downloads: 330)

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
04-18-19, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-19 03:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Item 1. I have been able to correct wind speed
Item 2. Still working on
Item 3. Noted
Item 4. I only have Raymarine instruments. I disconnected the i70 display and I can now set the es128 displays to nautical miles. The problem is the i70 preventing both the es128 and the i70 from being able the set for nautical miles and for Australia nm-m. The only reason I purchased a i70 mfd was that it is able to log barometric pressure (Only need a remote display of depth to match existing i60 plus instruments) which, considering the cost of the es128, the es128 cannot. Please advise a) Update to i70 instrument to correct overwriting issue on es128 and i70 instrument b) Advise if there is a software revision to allow logging of barometric pressure on the es128 c) I can live with a depth display to replace i70 if there is no fix but what do I do with the i70 display - can Raymarine refund or exchange with a suitable depth display?

Regards

John Rogers
04-30-19, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-19 10:26 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello jjlarogers,

Sorry for the delay replying.

I can assure you that there is not a generic issue with [latest] i70 software that overrides the distance units. I have a couple of i70s and several MFDs in my test system and have NM-m as the selected units throughout the system, and this is something about which we'd have received numerous calls and complaints if it were commonplace. Whatever the problem is, it seems to be particular to your system.

What version of software is in your i70? I have v3.11 (second-latest.) Possibly there's a bug that I'm not aware of in the earlier software. If that doesn't solve it, a factory reset of the i70 (Menu > Setup > Factory Reset) would be my next suggestion.

If neither of these do the trick then I'll need to ask for the NMEA2000 log-file that I described before in order to see what device is saying what to whom.

Regards,
Tom

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.