Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i60 wind pack installation with deck stepped mast
05-12-16, 08:08 PM
i60 wind pack installation with deck stepped mast
I have purchased the Raymarine i60 wind system and want to install it on my boat which has a deck stepped mast. The literature with the instrument and other information I have read on line indicate that the transducer cable must not be cut. However, it does not make sense to me to not be able to put a connector for the cable at the base on the mast to attach to a reciprocal connector that comes up through the deck into the base of the mast. This reciprocal connector would be attached to the cable that connects to the instrument dial. With a 42 foot mast and 90 feet of cable, it does not make sense to feed 48 feet of cable through the deck at the mast step twice yearly (once when I step the mast and once when I take the mast down for the winter).

I assume I am not the only one who has a deck stepped mast and is wondering how to install this equipment. What advice can anyone give me on how to solve this problem? I am very reluctant to drill a [censored] in the mast and a [censored] in my deck just to feed the cable through.

Please help! I have attached the transducer to the top of the mast and run the cable to the base of the mast, but I cannot step my mast until I solve how to run the cable.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-16, 10:31 AM
RE: i60 wind pack installation with deck stepped mast
You are not the only one with a stepped mast. It is recommended not to splice the cable of the masthead to the wind instrument display, but we at Raymarine recognize it is done in the industry. Raymarine does not provide connectors or marine junction boxes to do this, but they are available at most marine dealers. We recommend, that you pay close attention to splice so connectivity doesn't effect the information provided by the wind instrument.

I have enclosed the masthead test below to confirm good information from the masthead after the splice if you want to test.

Masthead Test:
To perform the check, you will need a multimeter, and a DC power supply. You will need to supply 8v to the masthead across the red and shield connections. Normally the ST50/ST60/i60 display head would be energized and provide this 8V, however in your case, you may need to power the mashead transducer seperately.

With the multimeter, check the following:

Set the multimeter to the 20V DC scale.

Test at the connections on the rear of the display head, or at the base of the mast (if you have a junction box installed.)

Red to shield should read 8 volts DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the ST50/ST60 display head. If the head is damaged, you may need to provide this power from another source to test the masthead.

Blue to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the port side directional element. The voltage changes as the vane turns.

Green to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the starboard side directional element.

Yellow to shield should read between 0 and 5 volts DC. This is the wind speed circuit. The faster the wind is blowing, the higher the voltage will read."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply