Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Linear Drive type 2
05-04-19, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-19 08:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Linear Drive type 2
Greetings, I am going to decommission my wheel auto pilot. I want to replace it with a
type 2 12 volt linear dive.
1. Would a st6000+ disply unit be compatible?
2. Would an SPX-30 Course Computer be my best choice?
3. Is a compass included in the SPX or what should I use, replace the existing fluxgate?
Just want to know what components I need complete the installation.
Vessel: 1994 35.5 foot hunter legend
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-19, 09:35 AM
RE: [CA11] Linear Drive type 2
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum drkmcdaniel,

General comment: When selecting a model of mechanical linear drive for a vessel, the loaded displacement of the vessel (dry weight + 20% for crew/passengers, provisions, gear, etc.). While you should check your vessel's specifications, a quick search of the Internet suggested that the Hunter Legend 35.5 had weighed approximately 13,000 lbs. Adding 2600 lbs (20%) would suggest a sailing displacement of 15,600 lbs. Again, I would recommend that this be verified with your documentation or Hunter. This weight is well with that of a Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drive. While it is possible to use a Type 2 Mechanical Linear Drive, its additional capacity would be considered unnecessary if these weight figures are correct.

If selecting a new autopilot for this vessel, an Evolution T70158 EV-200 Linear:
includes p70S, ACU-200, & Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drive and Evolution Autopilot backbone kit would be recommended. The latter is a complete autopilot package.

Q1. Would a st6000+ disply unit be compatible?
A1. Selection of an autopilot control head is not dependent upon the model of drive unit selected. Selection of autopilot control head is dependent upon the model of autopilot course computer selected. The currently offered p70S/p70/p70RS/p70R autopilot control head, legacy ST70 autopilot control head, and legacy ST6xxx/ST7xxx/ST8xxx autopilot control heads are all compatible with SPX autopilot course computers.

Q2. Would an SPX-30 Course Computer be my best choice?
A2. If seeking new autopilot equipment, please see my recommendation within my opening comment. Should you have acquired a second hand Type 2 Mechanical Linear Drive, and be seeking a second hand autopilot course computer, then a SPX-30 would be recommended.

Q3. Is a compass included in the SPX or what should I use, replace the existing fluxgate?
A3. Raymarine retired the SPX autopilot course computers several years ago when the Evolution autopilots were introduced. As such, any SPX30 purchased would be second hand and may or may not include a fluxgate compass and/or rudder reference transducer. Prior to the Evolution autopilots, Raymarine's last few autopilots (SPX5/SPX10/SPX30, S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G, Type 150G/400G, Type 150/400, Type 100/300) all employed Raymarine's M81190 Fluxgate Compass and M81105 Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply