Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Hard over time question
05-12-19, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-19 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Hard over time question
I am in the process of replacing my 4000+ wheel pilot with Mark II wheel pilot (which worked fine) with a new wheel pilot, p70s , acu 100, and ev1 no rudder sensor for 35ft J-105 sport boat. Every thing tested out fine until I came to the point in the dockside set up to adjust hard-over-time. Boat is on land.
After positioning the wheel to full port and pushing the +1 and +10 buttons the wheel would start to turn with hesitant jerky movement then stop about 1/2 way around. Wheel has about 1 1/4 turns stop to stop.
It should be noted that this boat's wheel has flat spokes for which I had to fabricate some custom wheel clamps.. Wheel turns very smoothly when pilot is unclamped though tension on the wheelpilot may be very slightly less than perfect due to the custom mounts.
Question is is this movement normal and how do I estimate HO time.
Also, can this be a problem with belt tension? or wheel pilot mounting?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-19, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-19 10:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Hard over time question
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum riclevitt,

In actuality, the hard over time is defaulted to ten seconds and rarely needs to be changed. However, should one desire to determine hard over time then while the vessel is tied to the dock, turn the wheel hard over in one direction. Next, drive it to the other stop by applying 12VDC or 24VDC (depending on the model of drive unit installed) to the drive's motor leads while monitoring the amount of time required to reach hard over.
05-17-19, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-19 08:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, I solved the slow turn jerky issue by changing the setting to "performance" from "cruising". Movement was then even and continuous. Wheel turned to stbrd for 10 seconds then stopped. I mistakenly believed that the hard over time was determined by a stop to stop turn and not the 60 degree rudder movement. So please confirm that the 10 seconds it took move the rudder 60 degrees is my hard over turn.
Final question is that I do not hear the autopilot motor activate for a couple seconds when first turned on. Old one used to. Is that a problem/
Rich
05-17-19, 09:14 AM
riclevitt,

Q1. So please confirm that the 10 seconds it took move the rudder 60 degrees is my hard over turn.
A1. Correct. In fact, 10 seconds is the default time for this parameter.

Q2. I do not hear the autopilot motor activate for a couple seconds when first turned on.
A2. The autopilot's motor will not turn on unless it senses that a heading correction is required in conjunction with the response setting. A minor delay (a second or so) such as you have reported would also be considered normal for the Evolution wheel pilot.
05-17-19, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-19 01:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Reason I asked Q2 is that manual reads that auto pilot motor will activate for a few seconds when first turned on "for even belt wear" My old 4000+ did. New autopilot does not.
Thank you for your incredible patience with many trivial questions.
05-20-19, 01:39 PM
You're welcome.