Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST60, ST60+, i50 analogue Wind/Rudder: angles different on another display
05-12-19, 06:08 PM
ST60, ST60+, i50 analogue Wind/Rudder: angles different on another display

The problem

You have an ST60, ST60+ or i50 analogue instrument display (Wind, CH Wind, Clubhouse Wind, Compass or Rudder) and the angle information shown on that display conflicts with the angle information shown somewhere else.This could be another analogue display or a digital readout (MFD, i70 or similar).

The cause

Assuming your products are both displaying the same data type (e.g. both set to Apparent wind or both True) from the same source sensor, the problem will be the analogue instrument's pointer calibration (if you're comparing two analogue displays, either could be at fault, not just the one that appears to show the problem.) This is not the same as the wind (rudder, compass) angle alignment (standard part of installation setup), but a low-level, factory/self-test calibration which is not documented in the handbook. What's happening is that there's a difference between what the analogue display thinks is the wind (etc.) angle and where the pointer is actually aiming. I often find myself having to persuade people that this diagnosis is correct, people tend to instinctually blame the receiving rather than the transmitting display, but was in fact quite a common problem with ST60 and ST60+ (and occasionally happen with i60) displays that we've seen many times.

It's almost impossible for one display to transmit a correct wind angle and another to receive and read it consistently incorrectly: the networks have error-checking in order to make sure that this does not happen. It is possible for a display to receive one value and display something else due to a software bug, but we're not aware of any instances where this happens: if you find one, please let us know.

The solution

If you recalibrate the pointer according to the attached document (Self Test stage 3), then re-do the wind angle alignment, I am confident that the ST60 and Axiom will agree.
To do the calibration, you'll need to step past Self Test 1 & 2 and go to stage 3, where you'll cycle the display through a series of pointer angles displayed in 30-degree increments in the LCD. In each case, you move the pointer clockwise/anticlockwise until the pointer shows the same angle as the number displayed on the screen. I would suggest going round 3 times: once to adjust, once to fine-tune and final time to check. See the attached quick video for an illustration of what the process looks like.

The attached PDF document covers ST60 but the same process applies to ST60+. The video shows the process on i60, which is almost identical as well and is well worth watching even if you have ST60/ST60+.

RAYFAQ#

Attached File(s)
.pdf  ST60_Wind_selftest.pdf (Size: 38 KB / Downloads: 5516)
.mp4  i60 pointer calibration v1.06 - 2014-09-05 11.02.44-conv.mp4 (Size: 19.42 MB / Downloads: 1411)

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
05-12-19, 07:32 PM
RE: ST60, ST60+, i50 analogue Wind/Rudder: angles different on another display
(05-12-19 06:08 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  
The problem

You have an ST60, ST60+ or i50 analogue instrument display (Wind, CH Wind, Clubhouse Wind, Compass or Rudder) and the angle information shown on that display conflicts with the angle information shown somewhere else.This could be another analogue display or a digital readout (MFD, i70 or similar).

The cause

Assuming your products are both displaying the same data type (e.g. both set to Apparent wind or both True) from the same source sensor, the problem will be the analogue instrument's pointer calibration (if you're comparing two analogue displays, either could be at fault, not just the one that appears to show the problem.) This is not the same as the wind (rudder, compass) angle alignment (standard part of installation setup), but a low-level, factory/self-test calibration which is not documented in the handbook. What's happening is that there's a difference between what the analogue display thinks is the wind (etc.) angle and where the pointer is actually aiming. I often find myself having to persuade people that this diagnosis is correct, people tend to instinctually blame the receiving rather than the transmitting display, but was in fact quite a common problem with ST60 and ST60+ (and occasionally happen with i60) displays that we've seen many times.

It's almost impossible for one display to transmit a correct wind angle and another to receive and read it consistently incorrectly: the networks have error-checking in order to make sure that this does not happen. It is possible for a display to receive one value and display something else due to a software bug, but we're not aware of any instances where this happens: if you find one, please let us know.

The solution

If you recalibrate the pointer according to the attached document (Self Test stage 3), then re-do the wind angle alignment, I am confident that the ST60 and Axiom will agree.
To do the calibration, you'll need to step past Self Test 1 & 2 and go to stage 3, where you'll cycle the display through a series of pointer angles displayed in 30-degree increments in the LCD. In each case, you move the pointer clockwise/anticlockwise until the pointer shows the same angle as the number displayed on the screen. I would suggest going round 3 times: once to adjust, once to fine-tune and final time to check. See the attached quick video for an illustration of what the process looks like.

The attached PDF document covers ST60 but the same process applies to ST60+. The video shows the process on i60, which is almost identical as well and is well worth watching even if you have ST60/ST60+.

RAYFAQ#

It is working.
Thank you very much, the video helped a lot for me to see what I was doing wrong. I have the ST60 not the newer I60 in the video so I had to get into the calibration by going through the self test 1, 2, then to Test3. I then realized on the video that you have to adjust both the starboard and port side of the dial to match the numbered displayed on the ST60 display. I went around several times to be sure it was correct.

Thank You
05-13-19, 12:18 AM
RE: ST60, ST60+, i50 analogue Wind/Rudder: angles different on another display
Very good, good to hear. Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Thread Closed