Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV-1 Calibration
05-13-19, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-19 08:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV-1 Calibration
Is it possible to validate the EV-1 Compass calibration using an Axiom panel? I do not have the full autopilot solution, I just purchased the EV-1 to feed heading data, while stopped, to the chart.

I've tried forcing the automatic calibration but running figure 9's at 5-10 MPH and I've even seen pop up messages on the Axiom indicating the deviation was configured. Yet the results seem inconsistent.

The compass appears to correct it's deviation during long runs but then when powering up the system the next time it can be off by 20+ degrees.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-19, 09:03 AM
RE: [CA11] EV-1 Calibration
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum pinkish_panther,

Many will utilize an EV-1 CCU for just such purposes, particularly if there is any chance of installing the remaining components of an Evolution autopilot in the future. For those having MFD's running LightHouse 3 software who are not seeking to install an autopilot, the AR200 Augmented Reality sensor can be a more cost effective means of supplying heading data to the system. The AR200 will also support LightHouse 3's Augmented Reality feature.

Regarding the symptom reported, please indicate the maximum deviation detected by the EV-1 CCU (HOME->SETTINGS->AUTOPILOT->MAX DEVIATION). Please additionally include some photos of the EV-1 CCU's installation location showing all within 3' of the EV-1 CCU. Please additionally note what is located on the opposite side of the bulkhead that the EV-1 CCU has been mounted to.
05-14-19, 05:45 PM
Thank you, that put me in the correct direction.
I went over to the boat this evening and followed your suggestion, I had never gone into the Autopilot section before. When I enabled it the compass calibration options are there - I’ll not be able to try it until it goes into the water but I expect that will do it with the calibration lock set to on once it seems accurate!
05-15-19, 07:50 AM
You're welcome.
07-10-19, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-19 10:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
After several visits and calibration attempts I think I’ve got the problem identified.

I’m in New Brunswick. Magnetic deviation is roughly -17 degrees. Seems the Axiom is adding 17 degrees. Overriding the setting on the units page does not seem to impact the Magnetic number calculated.

I've determined the EV-1 seems to be able to correctly identify true north. I've used multiple sources and it seems to align.

However, magnetic North seems to be way off. Took me a while to determine the pattern but I believe it is adding a 17 degree declination but my location (NB, Canada) should be a 17 degree subtraction.

The value reported by the panel shows -16.99 degrees but doing the math has it adding the 17 degrees so my alignment on my chart when not moving seems to be off by 34 degrees.

I attempted to override the declination manually on the Raymarine but it didn't seem to have any affect.
07-16-19, 02:35 PM
pinkish_panther,

The reported issue may be resulting from old software within the system's devices or a problem with one of the devices within the system. Please ensure that your Raymarine products have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. Please note that any update to an Evolution autopilot should be following by a Pilot Factory Reset and subsequent recommissioning of the autopilot. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should the problem persist thereafter, then please attach a system diagram (hand drawn will generally suffice) identifying the makes and models of each of the marine electronics devices within the system (including computers / tablets running navigational planning / chartplotting applications) may be be requested to support an investigation. The diagram should additionally identify how these devices have been interfaced to one another.