Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Power cable for Quantum
05-16-16, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Power cable for Quantum
I need a 15 m cable.
Is this available?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-16, 03:14 PM
RE: Power cable for Quantum
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum olegreg,

At this time, Raymarine only offers the A80309 5m and A80274 10m Quantum Radome Power Cables. Should you need a longer power cable, then it is recommended that a A80229 15m Digital Radar Cable in conjunction with a A80308 Quantum Y-Cable be installed.
05-17-16, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-16 10:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Can I just add a 14/2 extension power cable?
05-17-16, 10:15 AM
olegreg,

It is indeed possible to extend the Quantum power cable in the manner which you have suggested. Should the cable be installed within a mast, it is recommended that it be continuous rather than running a spliced cable inside of the mast.
05-18-16, 05:24 PM
Is it true that if I wish to have a wired data connection, that I need to run both a power and data cable vs. just one cable like my old Raymarine analog radar?

The user guides/diagrams seem to indicate yes.
05-19-16, 08:12 AM
olegreg,

When seeking to have a wired installation to a Quantum Radome it would not typically be recommended that separate power and communications cables be installed. An A80308 Y-Adapter Cable would be connected to the Quantum Radome's power and communications sockets. The trunk of this Y-Cable would then be connected to a Digital Radar Extension Cable or Digital Radar Cable per the information found here.
05-19-16, 08:21 AM
OK - to confirm -

a12 to Quantum -

Use the appropriate length data cable to the Quantum, and the Y adapter. No power cable?

This is different data than when I called tech support the other day - just wanting to confirm.

So the radar is them powered off the a12 MFD via the single data cable, splitter provides the power to the power port on the Quantum.
05-19-16, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-16 01:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
psubill78,

Q1. Use the appropriate length data cable to the Quantum, and the Y adapter. No power cable?

A1. Negative. Unlike data-only cables (i.e. Quantum Data Cables and RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables), Digital Radar Cables include power leads. Should a Digital Radar Cable and Y-Adapter be installed, then a separate Quantum Radome Power Cable need not be installed. However, should you elect to install a data-only cable, then it would be necessary to additionally install a Quantum Radome Power Cable.

Q2. So the radar is them powered off the a12 MFD via the single data cable, splitter provides the power to the power port on the Quantum.

A2. Negative. Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs are not designed to supply power to radomes and open array pedestals. Power to these radar devices must be supplied via a Digital Radar Cable or Power Cable designed for use with that radar product. The MFD is merely capable of communicating with the radome or pedestal to command the radome or pedestal ON/OFF.
05-19-16, 11:30 AM
*click* I get it now. To confirm - 3 options for my a12 to the Quantum -

Option 1: The Raymarine Digital Radar cable, connected to 12v and the a12, single wire to the quantum, then into the Quantum Y into the 2 ports on the quantum

Option 2: Quantum Power Cable from 12v to Quantum, and wifi to a12

Option 3: Quantum Data Cable from a12 to Quantum, and Quantum power from 12v to quantum (seems silly).

I guess the confusion was why even have a quantum data cable, I can't imagine anyone would want 2 wires going up there.

What they should have made was a Quantum Radar Cable - that was molded like the radar cable but an integrated Y.
05-19-16, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-16 01:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
psubill78,

The options which you have stated are correct. Thanks for the product suggestion.