Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS700 cable connection to Axiom
05-20-19, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-19 10:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS700 cable connection to Axiom
I am adding an AIS700 to my boat. At this time it has an Axiom9 at the helm. The MFD is connected to is a Seatalk(ng)to Seatalk 1 converter (R52131) via a spur (white) cable. Also from the converter is my
Seatalk 1 legacy instruments – yellow connection. This setup works well.

The best location to install the AIS700 will require a cable run of 40+ feet. My plan is to mount a 5 way connector (A06064) by the AIS700 add a backbone power cable (A06049) to the 5 way. From the 5 way backbone connection run a 65’ back bone cable (A06037) to the Seatalk converter (R52131) in the pedestal connecting to the backbone blue connector.

Is this workable? Any concern with two DC supplies at the converter, one from the legacy connection and the other the new backbone feed?
My alternate plan to get the AIS700 within 16 cable feet of the MFD would require about 60’ of coaxial cable.

Your thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-19, 10:31 AM
RE: [CA11] AIS700 cable connection to Axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum halfwaytoo,

As you have suggested, the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone (presently consisting of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Conveter) will need to be extended to provide spur socket within 6m (the maximum permissible length of a spur) of the AIS700 to facilitate interfacing the AIS700 to the system. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to interface compatible legacy devices having a SeaTalk communications interface to a SeaTalkng backbone. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, the SeaTalk bus(ses) will be disconnected from its present source of power. Instead, the SeaTalk bus(ses) will be powered by the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalkng to SeaTalkng Converter(s).
05-21-19, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-19 08:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply. I am not comfortable messing with the existing equipment and their communication power supply. I will locate the AIS700 within 16 cable feet of the MFD.
What is the preferred way to extend a spur cable? My plan would be connect the supplied spur cable to a 5 way connector (A06064) then run from it via a 5 meter spur cable (A06041) to the converter connection strip.
Is there another device similar to a Backbone extender that acts a spur extender?
05-22-19, 08:49 AM
halfwaytoo,

SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors, T-Pieces, and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter networking components, as well as the iTC-5, are not designed to be interfaced to one another via SeaTalkng Spur Cable. These networking components are designed to be interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. These items should not be connected to one another via a SeaTalkng Spur Cable or an incorrectly constructed backbone will result. Should a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable of sufficient length not available, then SeaTalkng Backbone Cables may be joined to one another via an A06030 SeaTalkng Extender or any of the above listed networking components.

SeaTalkng Spur Cables are not designed to be extended. Should the product be installed within 6m of a spur socket within the backbone and should the SeaTalkng Spur Cable owned not be of sufficient length, then an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable will be required. SeaTalkng Spur Cable is available in the following lengths:
A06038 / 15.7in (0.4m)
A06039 / 3.25ft (1m)
A06040 / 9.75ft (3m)
A06041 / 16.25ft (5m)
A06072 / 19.68ft (6m)
05-22-19, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-19 08:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
There is an unused network port on the back of the Axiom MFD. Would using a Raynet to Raynet cable #A80006 work? The plan would be connect the AIS700 network port directly to the Axiom network port. Also, would this cause aproblem with the existing Axiom to Seatalk1 interface via the converter to existing legacy devices?
Thanks for your patience.
05-23-19, 08:32 AM
halfwaytoo,

Q1. There is an unused network port on the back of the Axiom MFD. Would using a Raynet to Raynet cable #A80006 work? The plan would be connect the AIS700 network port directly to the Axiom network port.
A1. Negative. The AIS700 is not designed to support Ethernet communications ... this is the type of communications which is supported by the MFD's Ethernet Network (RayNet) socket. The AIS700 is exclusively is designed to support 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications with a MFD and to support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications. Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, leaving SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications as the only option.

Q2. Also, would this cause aproblem with the existing Axiom to Seatalk1 interface via the converter to existing legacy devices?
A2. Interfacing the AIS700 to the system as I have specified (via the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone) would have no effect upon your system's legacy devices.
05-23-19, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 08:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Too bad about the network cable.
My plan:
- From the AIS700 connect the supplied Devicenet/SeaTalkng adapter to a 5 way connector (white terminal).
- A power cable (A06049) will be connected to a white connection of the 5 way.
- Install 1 Backbone terminator on one of the blue connections of the 5 way connector. From the other blue Backbone connection of the 5 way connector, I will connect a Backbone cable (A06037).
- This cable (A06037) will then be connected to the Backbone blue connection of the Seatalk converter that is tied to the Axiom and to the Seatalk1 instruments.
- Finally at the SmartPilot computer I will disconnect the red lead that is at the SeaTalk connection terminals.

Works?
05-24-19, 08:25 AM
halfwaytoo,

The plan specified within your last post is indeed valid.