Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Axiom Pro S Depth Options
04-22-19, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-19 10:29 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Axiom Pro S Depth Options
I'm installing an Axiom Pro 9 S. This installation was discussed in detail with a Raymarine factory rep at a preseason West Marine event. The boat is a Catalina 30. I was informed the P79 E66008 with A80489 adapter cable would work. Based on the installation manual, and prior posts on this forum, it appears the Axiom Pro S will not work with a P79. My Axiom was purchased from Defender during their recent 4 day sale. It came with the A80464 Realview transducer. From what I’m reading, this transducer is also not compatible with my chartplotter. This makes no sense. Why would they include an incompatible transducer? Were there any changes that would makes these transducers compatible with the Axiom Pro S?

The boat has an Autohelm ST50 plus tridata depth/speed/temp unit. All I’m trying to get is depth on the Axiom. Will the P79 E66008 / A80489 work? Can I get the ST50 info to the Axiom? It doesn’t appear that a transom mount transducer would be an option. I really don't want to drill for a thru hull. Airmar shows a NMEA2K P79. Would that work with the associated backbone?

Any input/support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-19, 10:37 AM
RE: [DG11] Axiom Pro S Depth Options
Hi Neflier,
Thank you for your enquiry,

The AXIOM PRO9S will not operate with the P79 style transducer, only the Chirp variants of transducer can be used.

If you want to use the P79, then you will need the AXIOM PRO 9 RVX, and then use the A80496 adapter cable.

I cannot answer why the Realview transducer was included - since only the CPT-S style transducers can be connected via the A80490 adapter cable.

If all you want is depth, then use a SeaTalk to STng converter and use the depth data from the tridata to display in a data box on the AXIOM - note that you will not see a sonar type graphical display - only digital depth.

Regards
Derek
05-02-19, 11:09 PM
Derek,

Thank you for the reply!! The Axiom Pro 9 S is already installed, so going the RVX path is not an option. Digital depth is all that is needed. I’ve researched this as much as I can and have a few questions that hopefully you can answer.

My understanding is the E22158 converter is Seatalk NG and the Axiom is NMEA2K. There will be a 20’-25’ run between the two. The Axiom is in a NavPod, so a field terminated connector will be needed on one of the ends. What parts will be needed to connect the Axiom to the converter? Where can I obtain the associated pinouts to go from Seatalk NG to NMEA2K?

The ST50 plus has the round SeaTalk connectors. Multiple online forums state the mating connector is a Switchcraft 16282-3SG-311. Can you provide the pinouts for the ST50 plus? Which locations are the power, ground and data when looking at the Seatalk connector on the ST50 plus?

Is there anything else that I’m missing?

This installation is on a sailboat. The manual for the Axiom states that when powered off there is still a draw and to install a dedicated switch to eliminate this. What is the draw when powered off, but power is still being providing to the Axiom? I couldn’t find this in any of the manuals. Power is removed from the Axiom when the battery selector is switched off.

Thank you!!
05-07-19, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-19 10:47 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi neflier,

You will find it useful to read through this FAQ which describes the STng network, location of terminators, rules for NME 2000 configuration, ( for example a spar can be up to 6m long which might be a better way to connect the network to the AXIOM in the Navpod instead of leading the backbone up there and terminating it).

Please use the STng to NMEA2000 cable - A06075 instead of trying to make your own cable, we have so many reports of system errors triggered by self -fit connectors and they can be difficult to track down in a large network.

Pinouts for the Female St50 connector [Image: attachment.php?aid=2978]

With regards to the power draw, the Axiom PRO will draw less than 50mA when it is powered down, but not isolated. I will check for the specific value and update.
Thanks
Derek

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-07-19, 01:09 PM
Derek,

Thank you for the information. I get real nervous when interfacing data buses that cross so many generations. Round seatalk (ST50+), to "newer" seatalk, to seatalkNG converter to NMEA2K. If there is the slightest error anywhere on that chain, then it doesn't work and I have no effective way of troubleshooting. The Axiom and ST50+ will be the only items on the network.
05-08-19, 07:57 AM
Hi Neflier,
It is gfood to be wary, the other point to consider is that early ST50 used a more basic form of speed sentance and that is not recognised by the converter or current products - in fact was not recognised by most legacy including ST60 instruments too!

Regards
Derek
05-19-19, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-19 12:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Derek,

If I have an early ST50, will the depth be recognized on the Axiom through the converter? I'm not concerned about the paddle wheel speed, but depth would be the reason for installing the converter.

Thanks
05-22-19, 10:46 AM
Hi neflier,

the early ST50 depth will be converted through the SeaTalk to STng converter and will be read on the AXIOM, however, the Speed will not be transferred through due to the nature of the early ST50 seaTalk sentences

Regards
D
erek