Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 9 Cannot Find RX-100 Transducer
05-18-19, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-19 08:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 9 Cannot Find RX-100 Transducer
Hi, I purchased an Axiom 9 with RV-100 transducer in October 2017. The product should accordingly be under your standard 2 year warranty.

Earlier this week, the MFD would not recognise the transducer. When I attempted to launch the usual sonar screens, a message stating "No transducer connected Connect a transducer and restart the unit." would be displayed.

I shut down the unit, removed and restarted the transducer plug and everything seemed to work for a while. However, subsequently, the unit would again not recognise the transducer and the same error message would appear. Unplugging and re connecting the transducer has no effect.

Following a suggestion on your support forum, I have tried performing a factory reset of the unit. But unfortunately, this also did not work.

Could you please advise whether there is anything else I can try? And if not, will I need to send in both the MFD and the transducer or will just sending in the transducer would suffice. The MFD also provides Radar, Chart plotter and other functionalities all of which appear to be functioning normally, so it would be disruptive to remove the entire unit.

In either event, could you please let me know how best to go about sending in the defective component(s)?

I am currently located in Singapore. The local agent has informed me that they will charge a very significant fee (about half the cost of the transducer) just to send in the transducer for an in-warranty claim. In the premises, it would seem that I am obliged to make my own alternative arrangements.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-19, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-19 08:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 Cannot Find RX-100 Transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum efish,

Q1. Following a suggestion on your support forum, I have tried performing a factory reset of the unit. But unfortunately, this also did not work.
A1. Should you not already have done so, it is recommended that the MFD's software be updated LightHouse 3 v3.9.46 or later software and that a Power On Reset be commanded. The procedure for performing the Power On Reset may be found within the Performing a Power On Reset - Axiom section of Chapter 20.3: Power up troubleshooting of the LightHouse 3.9 Advanced Operation Instructions. Before doing so, it is recommended that the MFD be switched OFF, that the transducer be unplugged from the MFD, that the Power On Reset be performed, that the MFD be booted up, that the MFD be switched OFF, and that the transducer than be reconnected to the MFD. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the MFD (and transducer if easily removed) be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. Upon completion of the process for booking a repair, a shipping label will be issued.

Q2. In either event, could you please let me know how best to go about sending in the defective component(s)?
A2. Please click on the link within the response to Q1 and then click on the Book a Repair link found on the displayed on the Raymarine Warranty & Repairs web page. I will ask our Oceania representative to also reach out to you to address shipping questions.
05-23-19, 06:02 PM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 Cannot Find RX-100 Transducer
Hello efish,

Sorry it's taken a couple of days to contact you, I'm working at a boatshow at the moment.

We've occasionally seen transducer detection issues as a result of interference (noise) being picked up on the transducer cabling. Before you get the transducer off the boat, it would be worth making sure that the same problem occurs when on an independent display power supply (battery), or with all boat systems except the Axiom turned off. Interference can come from a lot of different places on the boat, but as an example, the first case of this that I came across the system worked perfectly when the engine was idling but consistently saw the 'No transducer connected' alarm when they sped up to about 6 or 7 knots. This was engine ignition or charging system noise. Not to say that engines are the only potential cause, this is just one real-world example.

If you have made sure that the problem isn't being caused by some other boat systems then you would need to get the transducer checked/tested, as you are already looking into doing. We offer two different levels of warranty, depending on who installed the Axiom: if the system was installed by an authorised installer (Service Dealer or approved boatbuilder) then you would have On Board Warranty, otherwise you'd have 'return-to-base' warranty. With On Board warranty you should be able to get a local Service Dealer to visit the boat and test the transducer and supply a replacement there (warranty policy doesn't cover transducer installation itself.) For standard return-to-base warranty you need to get the affected product back to a dealer or service centre in order to get it tested/replaced.

The dealer who supplied the products should be able to test the RV100 for you, or you can contact your local Service dealer (tick 'Certified Installation' at http://www.raymarine.com.au/display/?id=911). A service dealer may charge you for de-installation/re-installation of a transducer or for on-board testing if (if the system doesn't have OBW) but should not charge you for bench testing or supply of a warranty replacement. If this is what they're wanting to charge you for, please send me the details and I will raise this through the local account manager.

Raymarine doesn't have a service centre in Singapore (we rely on the service dealer network for field support). We have a service site in Sydney, but if in fact you book a warranty service job with us as my colleague described then in fact this will be booked on as a repair job with our UK service centre rather than Australia, so I would recommend going through the local dealer network if possible. If you continue to have problems there, please let me know.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.