Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Splicing into existing power cable from old analogue radome to new Quantum 2
05-29-19, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-19 12:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Splicing into existing power cable from old analogue radome to new Quantum 2
I've taken out my old raymarine radome (RD218 18" 2kW Analog Radome) and have just received my new Quantum 2. I have the Axiom 9 multidisplay. I just snipped the cable at the old radome on top of roof. Just looking at how the wiring is snaked through my Boston Whaler 235 conquest makes me shiver thinking about remousing the new power line. I hope to use wifi so I just need to power up the new dome. Can I just splice into the existing cable singling out only the pos/neg/ground? I imagine the gauge of wires would be much the same. Any recommendations on quality splicing techniques/device? Hoping not to have to bring it down to the service dealer. I never did use the old radome as the old head unit never worked. It appears to be on its own switch at the helm. I am guessing that every time I want to use the quantum 2 it should have a separate power switch so it's not always running when I have the Axiom multidisplay on when docked and motor off?!

Thanks!
Rob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-19, 12:37 PM
RE: [CA11] Splicing into existing power cable from old analogue radome to new Quantum 2
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rob,

Q1. Can I just splice into the existing cable singling out only the pos/neg/ground?
A1. Yes.

Q2. I imagine the gauge of wires would be much the same.
A2. The wire within the existing cable should be similar, if not of a heavier gauge, to that found within the Quantum Power Cable, making splicing a satisfactory alternative to chasing the Quantum Power Cable.

Q3. Any recommendations on quality splicing techniques/device?
A3. Soldered splices which have been protected with Marine Grade Electrical Heat Activated Adhesive Lined Shrink Tubing for +12VDC, ground, and drain leads would be recommended.

Q4. It appears to be on its own switch at the helm. I am guessing that every time I want to use the quantum 2 it should have a separate power switch so it's not always running when I have the Axiom multidisplay on when docked and motor off?!
A4. Correct.
05-30-19, 02:07 PM
RE: [CA11] Splicing into existing power cable from old analogue radome to new Quantum 2
Thanks Chuck - Appreciate it
06-03-19, 10:32 AM
You're welcome.