Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Yamaha Engine Data
05-30-19, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-19 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom Yamaha Engine Data
I have two Axiom 9's with the latest Lighthouse Firmware and I want to receive Yamaha engine data from Twin F250s.

My engines use the Yamaha conventional digital gauges and I do not have a CommandLink Hub. I have connected CommandLink to Devicenet cables to both engines. When I connect the engines to my NMEA backbone with the proper T's and Terminators, I can see the Port engine data on the Axioms but not Starboard. This configuration also drops my Fusion radio remotes.

I would like to know if adding the ECI-100 would correct the issue and if I can create a separate NMEA network for the engines connecting to the ECI-100, then connect the ECI-100 to my backbone?

I am attaching a drawing of the current and proposed engine network and the overall network view.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  AxiomEngineData.pdf (Size: 289.58 KB / Downloads: 238)
.pdf  AxiomcompleteNetwork.pdf (Size: 831.57 KB / Downloads: 245)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-19, 11:01 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom Yamaha Engine Data
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Hairraiser,

General comment: Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the engines should be interfaced to your system.

Q1. My engines use the Yamaha conventional digital gauges and I do not have a CommandLink Hub. I have connected CommandLink to Devicenet cables to both engines. When I connect the engines to my NMEA backbone with the proper T's and Terminators, I can see the Port engine data on the Axioms but not Starboard. This configuration also drops my Fusion radio remotes.
A1. The method which you have described above is an invalid means to interface the engines to the marine electronics system. Please refer to the FAQ within the opening comment to view the proper means of interfacing your engines to the marine electronics system.

Q2. I would like to know if adding the ECI-100 would correct the issue and if I can create a separate NMEA network for the engines connecting to the ECI-100, then connect the ECI-100 to my backbone?
A2. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, an ECI-100 would be recommended for this application. For more information regarding the specifics of connecting the Yamaha engines via the ECI-100, please refer to the Yamaha tab of the ECI-100 Connectivity web page. While it is possible to utilize SeaTalkng networking components for the engine backbone, your diagram appears to be lacking in power for the engine backbone as would be accommodated by Yamaha's Command Link components.
05-30-19, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you, Chuck.

So technically, building the separate engine network plus power then bridging with the EIC-100 to the existing NMEA network should work?

This would allow me to use my existing spare network components and remove the need for a Yamaha hub and new cables. Correct?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  AxiomEngineDataNew.pdf (Size: 262.13 KB / Downloads: 284)
06-03-19, 10:31 AM
Hairraiser,

Q1. So technically, building the separate engine network plus power then bridging with the EIC-100 to the existing NMEA network should work?
A1. This would be correct as long as the Yamaha engines support integration with Yamaha's CommandLink or CommandLink Plus products. Your diagram appears to be lacking a 12V input to the engine backbone ... as would be permitted by a CommandLink Hub.

Q2. This would allow me to use my existing spare network components and remove the need for a Yamaha hub and new cables. Correct?
A2. If the conditions specified within my response to Q1 have both been satisfied, then your statement would indeed appear to be correct.