Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] GPX File Write or Other Format Error?
06-04-19, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-19 03:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] GPX File Write or Other Format Error?
Hello –
I backed up a GPX file prior to upgrading our Axiom 9 from LH3.7 to LH3.9. The GPX file contains 4 way points followed by two tracks (Track 3 and Track 7) from two short, season opener sails. I use “GPX Viewer and Recorder” to look at GPX files.

In this file, GPX viewer and reader renders the four waypoints , but will not render the two tracks. GPX Viewer and Recorder provides a summary of the track info and shows no data in Track 3 and data in Track 7. Track 3 data is located just after the four waypoints in the file, followed by track 7.

Opening the GPX file shows Track 3 info is in the file. After deleting Track 3 information from the GPX file, the four waypoints and Track 7 render correctly. So, GPX Reader and Viewer displays the waypoints then chokes on Track 3 and then looses it's mind and can't display Track 7.

I realize this GPX file was written by LH3.7 and I have not recorded a track with LH3.9 to confirm GPX file functionality. I thought this was an interesting finding in case there is a latent error in how GPX files are written. I’m not familiar enough with the GPX file format to troubleshoot. The JSON file (unfortunately after the upgrade to LH3.9) is included for MFD/Network info.

Dan

Attached File(s)
.gpx  Archive_05_27_2019.gpx (Size: 106.01 KB / Downloads: 158)
.gpx  Archive_05_27_2019_minus Track 3.gpx (Size: 55.56 KB / Downloads: 166)
.json  Diagnostics_6-3-.json (Size: 3.74 KB / Downloads: 154)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-19, 04:13 PM
RE: [CA11] GPX File Write or Other Format Error?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dan,

I tested the GPX file originally created by the MFD with both Raymarine's Voyage Planner software. Voyage Planner imported two tracks, Track 3 and Track 7 in addition to the four waypoints. My Axiom MFD (v3.9.46) also imported these same two tracks and four waypoints. Upon inspecting the GPX file, it appears to contain only two tracks as bounded by the delimiter "<trk>" and four waypoints. I suspect that there is an issue with the GPX viewer app and would recommend contacting its developer to determine why the app stumbled on the GPX file.
06-04-19, 07:50 PM
Thanks Chuck. No surprise I guess since the GPX viewer is free. Now that voyage planner is retired, do you, or does Raymarine have an alternative to Voyage Planner that will render gpx files?
Thanks
Dan
06-05-19, 09:34 AM
Dan,

Q. Now that voyage planner is retired, do you, or does Raymarine have an alternative to Voyage Planner that will render gpx files?
A. Navionics is recommending Navigation Planner for Raymarine product owners who are using Navionics cartography and will plan on a laptop or desktop computer. For Navionics cartography users who will be using a smartphone for planning, Navionics is recommended its Boating app. For users of other cartography other than Navionics, it is recommended that a navigational planning application supporting Raymarine products be used, as it may then utilize Raymarine waypoint symbols. Should waypoint symbols not matter, then any quality planning tool supporting GPX file format may be used.
06-05-19, 07:43 PM
Thank You again Chuck.
Dan
06-06-19, 09:52 AM
You're welcome.