Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Sonar power output
06-05-19, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 09:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Sonar power output
Is there a way I can look up how much wattage my sonar has on the multifunctional display? It is a gseries 2017. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-19, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 09:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Sonar power output
Hello sheitzmann,

The G-Series (or more recent gS-series) don't have sonar built into the display, it's a black-box sounder module. And there are several different modules with different power outputs.

If you have a look in Home > Setup > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Select Device, you can get a list of products which will include your sounder module. If you can share that list or the model of the sounder module, we can point you towards its power output.

Generally speaking, I prefer to talk depth ranges rather than power outputs on sounders, because talking power outputs alone is a little like comparing engines based on CCs alone.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-06-19, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 09:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Tom. I will check and let u know
07-26-19, 09:54 AM
It is a 1kw transducer. I have alot of trouble when I get out past 800ft with marking the bottom. I am wondering if this happens and I just want to see the top 150ft is this still possible if I am out of depth range for this unit
07-30-19, 02:48 AM
Hello sheitzmann,

A 1kW transducer connected to a recent-model 1kW sounder module, in a good installation and a low-noise system, should give a lot more than 800ft when at low speeds. Personally I've seen bottom in around 1,000 metres with a TM258 and CP370.

There are a number of provisos in this though: a 1kW transducer might not be connected to a recent 1kW-capable sounder module, and there are a number of factors including setup, transducer installation, background (electrical and high-frequency acoustic) noise levels on the boat and boat speed.

If you can confirm what kind of 1kW transducer and sounder module you have, and post back some images of your sounder performance (full-screen, high resolution and in focus) I will be able to tell you more about what might be the limiting factor in your system.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.