Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Getting 2 MFDs to communicate
06-06-19, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 04:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Getting 2 MFDs to communicate
I have had a SeaTalkNG system with a SeaTalk subsystem for some older instruments. I recently added a RayMarine 700AIS and a secondary MFD (eS7) at the navigation station. I can’t get the 2 MFDs to communicate. I can get AIS signals only on the secondary MFD.

At one point, I got an error message on my secondary MFD saying “The following devices are preventing data source selection:
E22158 - SeaTalk-STNG Converter S/N 0651847.
Please see your user manual.”

The device in question is associated with the instruments on the SeaTalk (1) network. I can’t figure out how to fix this problem. Can anyone help me with this?

Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-19, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 04:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Getting 2 MFDs to communicate
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

I assume that you have two eS-Series MFDs. If not, then please specify the make/model or the other MFD. If so, then please specify how have you networked the two MFDs to one another? Was it
- via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable?
- via a pair of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) cables which have been joined with a HS5 RayNet Network Switch?
- other?
06-07-19, 12:44 PM
Both MFDs are identical. They are merely connected to the backbone with spurs.
06-07-19, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-19 01:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bob,

Q. Both MFDs are identical. They are merely connected to the backbone with spurs.
A. The MFDs were designed to be interfaced to one another via and Ethernet network, not via a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 network. When interfaced via an Ethernet network, the MFDs will share all data and resources. Accordingly, the MFDs will need to be networked to one another networked to one another via one of the following methods:

- via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable (for systems featuring only two compatible products having an Ethernet Network (RayNet) communications interface)

- via a pair of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) cables which have been joined with a HS5 RayNet Network Switch (for systems featuring compatible products having an Ethernet Network (RayNet) communications interface but whose MFDs lack a sufficient number of Ethernet Network ports to accommodate interfacing these devices to one another (ex. two eS78 MFDs need to be interface to a HD Digital Radome).
06-08-19, 01:43 PM
It is not practical for me to feed the (F) cable with the plug intact through my pedestal to get a route between the two MFDs. Is it possible to cut the cable and use an Ethernet junction box to connect the two ends of the cable?
06-10-19, 09:54 AM
Bob,

Q. It is not practical for me to feed the (F) cable with the plug intact through my pedestal to get a route between the two MFDs. Is it possible to cut the cable and use an Ethernet junction box to connect the two ends of the cable?
A. This may indeed be accomplished via a marine grade CAT5e / CAT6 inline coupler/junction box and should the junction will be located in a location where it will be well protected from the marine environment. We typically recommend that a shielded RJ45 (M) plug be fitted to each half of the cable and that a R32142 RJ45 to RJ45 Waterproof Coupler be used to join the two cables.