Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Lighthouse 3 and B60 Transducer Issue
06-09-19, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-19 12:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Lighthouse 3 and B60 Transducer Issue
Hi,

I am having a problem with my eS127 not being able to interface with the attached B60 transducer since I upgraded to LH3 software.

I recently upgraded to Lighthouse 3, now using the latest software v3.9.46. The transducer had been working fine with the LH2 software, but it had been about 6 months since I had been out on the boat. Of course, this could be a hardware problem, but I'm getting enough strange indications to think it may be software.

The boat also has an older TriData ST-60 with another B60 transducer on the SeaTalk network. That data is being put on the network and is being used by the eS127, see below.

Here is what I see in the eS127

When I first go into the Fishfinder mode, i get a message "No sonar source available"

In the Fishfinder mode, when go to Settings - Transducer I get a "None" button first then a "B60/SS60" button. It switches between None and B60 buttons after I have tried to get B60 selected. This started with the default transducer button "P58/..." and I was able to switch it to B60.

If I go to the Sounder page the Ping Enabled button toggles from on to off, about the same periodicity as it did in the transducer page.

In the Home - Settings - Network - Data Sources I get the message "Searching for devices that display depth. At first I had two selections "SeaTalk STNG Connector" and "eS127". I selected eS127 but still doesn't let me select the B60 transducer and I get the "No Sonar Source Available" messages.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to try to convey what I'm seeing. I'm sure you can make it simpler.

Thanks, Hube
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-19, 01:15 PM
RE: [CA11] Lighthouse 3 and B60 Transducer Issue
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Hube,

Does the problem persist after having performed a Power On Factory Reset to all MFDs within the system?
06-11-19, 03:43 PM
Yes it did still have the same indications after the Power On Reset. I just did the power on reset this week as part of reliability issues I've been having. I believe the transducer issue started with the LH3 upgrade but I'm not 100% sure of that.
06-12-19, 09:28 AM
Hubesail,

I have attempted and have been unsuccessful in duplicating the problem on my eSx7 MFD running LH3 v3.9.46. My MFD immediately began producing sonar imagery after having simply selected the 200kHz or 50kHz channel. As the reported fault may be rooted within the MFD's fishfinder circuitry, within the transducer itself, or possibly within the LH3 software, you may try downgrading the MFD's software and then test the Fishfinder application again. Should the problem be duplicated with the downgraded MFD, it would be recommended that the MFD be tested with another compatible transducer or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
06-13-19, 07:12 AM
Thanks for looking at this, here's an update.

Both of my transducers are spliced in a junction box, so I switched the two inputs. Both transducers are good, when working as input to the ST60 Tridata depthsounder, but neither one works as input to the eS127 with LH3 software.

Here is an interesting observation. When I first wired the "known good" transducer into the eS127, I did it with only the depth wires connected; blue, black, and bare. After this, the eS127 did not recognize the transducer in any way, just "None" displayed in the Transducer selection page.

I then wired up all the wires, including red which I don't think is used at all. Then the eS127 sorta-kinda recognized that there was a transducer installed. I had a Temperature indication and it would let me select P60 transducer after working it in the software about 5 times. It kept defaulting to the P58 selection but eventually stuck on P60. It has now stopped the switching from None to P60 on the Transducer selection page.

I'm going to trace out all the rest of that cable up to the eS127 to be sure there is not some other cable issue. Then I'm going to try to run the transducer cable up to the other eS127. It's starting to look like the problem may be in the cable or wiring.

Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Hube
06-13-19, 07:57 AM
Hube,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing splicing fishfinder transducer cables. The symptom which you are experiences is just one of the potential issues which may result. It is recommended that the transducer be replace to correct the reported issue.
06-13-19, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info on splicing. Not surprised if that is the issue, though it did work before the software update. I will keep working through it as though that's the issue until I prove otherwise. I DO appreciate the help always.

Thanks, Hube
06-13-19, 08:59 AM
You're welcome.
06-20-19, 07:19 AM
Here is a post to close this out, I hope The bottom line is that the lower helm eS127 that I was using for the depth-sounder must have a hardware fault in it.

I spliced the cable meticulously using an Airmar connection box. It was done exactly according to their instructions. This didn't solve the problem. Then I took the eS127 display from the Flybridge down below and it worked just fine. (note, this was not an easy job is why it was delayed in troubleshooting). Ah ha, the problem is in the lower unit hardware.

Just to be sure, I reloaded the software in the faulty unit and did the Power On reset, still the same results so a hardware fault confirmed.

I'll send it in to Raymarine Service to be repaired when I get a break here in July/Aug.

Really appreciate all the help figuring this out.
06-20-19, 07:37 AM
Hube,

You're welcome and thanks for the follow-up. It was indeed convenient that you had another MFD onboard having internal 600W 50kHz/200kHz fishinder sounder circuitry with which the problem could be further fault isolated/