Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Evolution Upgrade
06-17-19, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-19 01:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Evolution Upgrade
The mechanical installation is complete but I need to connect all the components to the backbone and get connected to the existing instrument package. I need a bill of materials to make the connections beyond what came with the upgrade package.

I've tried to attach a jpg and pdf file and the forum wont' allow it. Please help!

Mike Largesse

508-797-2657

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-19, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-19 02:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Evolution Upgrade
Mike,

With regard to the currently installed backbone, it should be corrected /added to indicate the following:

1) A SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector (A06064) will be installed near the location of the ACU.

2) The ACU400 will be interfaced to the ACU400 via the Evolution SeaTalkng Cable supplied with the ACU400.

3) The EV-1 CCU and p70S will each be interfaced to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector located near ACU via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable (6m max)

4) The instruments and MFD are not both installed within pods connected the binnacle ... only the MFD is installed at the binnacle

5) A SeaTalkng T-Piece has been installed within the MFD's pod at the binnacle.

6) A SeaTalkng Termination Plug has been installed within the SeaTalkng T-Piece located within the MFD's pod

7) The MFD has been connected to the T-piece within the MFD's pod an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable (white w/black stripe)

8) The SeaTalkng T-Piece within the MFD's pod is currently connected to a backbone socket of the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector at the navigation station via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable (blue w/black stripe). This Backbone Cable will be disconnected from the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector at the navigation station and will instead be connected to a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable Extender (A06030).

9) The other end of the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable Extender (A06030) will be connected to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector located by the ACU via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

10) The remaining backbone socket of the of the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector located by the ACU will be connected to the vacated backbone (blue) socket of the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector at the navigation station.

11) The instruments are i50 and i60 instruments

12) A SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector has been installed at the location of the i50/i60 instruments.

13) A SeaTalkng Termination Plug has bee installed within one of the backbone (blue) sockets of the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector located with the instruments

14) A SeaTalkng Backbone Cable (blue w/black stripe) connects the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector located at the navigation station to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector located with the instruments

15) The four i50 and i60 instruments have been divided into two daisy chains of two instruments each. A short length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable (white w/black stripe) was used to create each daisy chain.

16) Each i50/i60 instrument daisy chain has in turn be joined to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector located with the instruments via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable (white w/black stripe)

-------------

While it is possible to power the backbone via the ACU400's SeaTalkng port, it is considered to be a best practice not to use this feature. Instead, it is recommended that the backbone be powered from a dedicated switched 12VDC power circuit connected to the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the Evolution autopilot. The SeaTalkng Power Cable will in turn be connected to a spur socket located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. The LEN load of each product is identified within its respective installation guide. The LEN load of the C140W, like all other MFDs, is 1.
06-17-19, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-19 03:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, I can't thank you enough for your patience.

I tried to follow your recommendations but I may have stumbled on a pretty clean way to make it work. I will have to change out one existing cable to the binnacle but believe it or not, that's not to bad a job. It all hinges on the C140 using a spur cable and I can't remember if it does or not.

Can you take a quick look at the sketch?

Mike Largesse

508-797-2657

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-17-19, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-19 03:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mike,

It certainly would make things easier if the installer has kept the backbone cable below deck with a T-Piece or Inline Terminator in the area beneath the binnacle and had instead chased a spur cable up the binnacle tube. If so, then you could simply remove the Termination Plug from the T-Piece or replace the Inline Terminator with a T-Piece. A an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable could then be used to join the T-Piece to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector which will be installed near the ACU. A SeaTalkng Termination Plug would then be installed within the remaining backbone (blue socket) of the the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector which will be installed near the ACU to complete the installation.

The diagram looks identical that that which you had previously submitted.
06-17-19, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-19 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck

Attached is a correct sketch. I have no idea why the first two attempts didn't post. I'll assume operator error was a factor. I'll visit the boat tomorrow but if you bless the sketch, I should be able to make the modifications.

Mike

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Auto Pilot Upgrade 2019 Rev 1.pdf (Size: 274.38 KB / Downloads: 213)
06-18-19, 08:33 AM
Mike,

Q1. Attached is a correct sketch.
A1. As long as the Backbone Cable within the binnacle will be replaced with a Spur Cable, then your updated diagram appears to be correct.

Q2. I have no idea why the first two attempts didn't post. I'll assume operator error was a factor.
A2. As indicated within the FAQ addressing moderation of Raymarine's Forum, not only are new threads moderated and answered prior to being visible, but posts to threads are likewise moderated and answered prior to being visible.
06-19-19, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-19 08:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I'm all set, chuck. I got the parts from Cay Electronics this morning. There is joy in Muddville!
06-19-19, 08:15 AM
You're welcome.