Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Adding i70 MFD
06-20-19, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-19 12:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Adding i70 MFD
I have an A128 12" Chartplotter and I'd like to add an i70 MFD to see speed, heading, and water depth. Since my A128 already displays all of this info, can I just run a SeaTalk cable from my A128 over to the i70? Shouldn't it share all of the needed information without having to run to a backbone? It seems like redundancy to have to run a SeaTalk cable from the A128 to a backbone, which has to seperately be powered, and then run another SeaTalk cable up to an i70 MFD. I do not plan to add anything more to this system.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-19, 12:05 PM
RE: [CA11] Adding i70 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum AJPOWERPLAY,

Q1. Can I just run a SeaTalk cable from my A128 over to the i70?
A1. Negative. Like all products which are designed to communicate with one another via a CAN bus / NMEA 2000 / SeaTalkng network, these devices are designed to communicate with one another powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
Should the system not feature a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple backbone may be constructed.

Q2. Shouldn't it share all of the needed information without having to run to a backbone?
A2. Negative.
06-21-19, 08:20 PM
I purchased a T70134 backbone starter kit consisting of:

A06064 STNG 5-way connector
A06031 STNG backbone terminator (x2)
A06040 STNG spur cable, 3M
A06049 STNG power cable, 2M

I believe I will still need a second Sea Talk-Ng Spur Cable.

The A128 is already installed and working, the i70 won't need an additional GPS antenna installed in order to receive speed and heading because the A128 will be communicating that information, right? I've drawn up what I believe is the correct setup.

Attached File(s)
.pptx  SeaTalk Network.pptx (Size: 377.11 KB / Downloads: 205)
06-24-19, 08:41 AM
AJPOWERPLAY,

Your diagram is correct in all but one respect ... the diagram incorrectly shows that the MFD will be powered by a SeaTalkng Power Cable. Instead, the MFD will be powered via the Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable packaged with MFD.

Q1. I believe I will still need a second Sea Talk-Ng Spur Cable.
A1. Correct.

Q2. the i70 won't need an additional GPS antenna installed in order to receive speed and heading because the A128 will be communicating that information, right?
A2. The equipment which you have listed will not produce heading and speed (through water). The equipment listed will produce Course Over Ground (COG) Speed Over Ground (SOG) data when the vessel is moving.
07-16-19, 12:52 AM
I have everything hooked up and functioning. The i70 turns on and in the menu I am able to select the A127 as the source for information for SOG and COG. However, I am not able to display any information on the i70. There is no data, it seems. Any ideas? Are all A127 units wi-fi compatible so that I could see if there are software updates I need?

Thanks!
Adam
07-16-19, 09:38 AM
Adam,

The first step in addressing the reported symptom would indeed be to ensure that both the MFD and i70 MFID have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software. After doing so, the Select Devices list of the MFD (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->SELECT DEVICE) should list both the MFD and the i70 MFID. From the standpoint of data shared between the MFDs, it would be expected that depth & water temperature (a compatible fishfinder transducer must be interfaced to the a128 MFD), current coordinates (if the MFD has acquired a GPS position FIX), COG/SOG (only if the vessel is moving), BTW/DTW (if Go To or Follow Route has been commanded), etc. should be displayed by the i70 MFID if configured to display these data items.